1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Won't Turn Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BarryBostwick, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryBostwick

BarryBostwick Thread Starter

May 14, 2008
    This problem is completely baffling me. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what's happening. When I switch the power supply on, leaving the off position, the computer instantly comes on, regardless of the on/off state it was in before. The fans all come on, the GPU fan is at full blast (I've never seen it on so high). And it will remain to stay like this appearing to do nothing, appearing to be "locked". And then, if the power button on the front of the computer is pressed the fans go back to normal, and the computer sounds as if it's booting a normal boot.

Then most recently, after trying to debug this problem for a while, if after being in this "locked idle 'on' state", the power button on the front is pressed and the computer starts "booting", the mother board's speaker starts beeping. 3 long beeps, a pause, then a continuous repeating long beep.

What I've done to debug this is take out then video card, switch on power supply. This results in the computer instantly turning on into this locked state. Then I tried taking out the RAM, switch on the power supply. Locked 'on' state. Take out every single other device, keyboard, mouse, all SATA ports, and miscellaneous PCI cards. Power supply on. Locked 'on' state. And all leads to the same thing happening after the power button on the front is pressed.

Here are my system specs:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    Processor: Core 2 Dou 3.0GHz E8400
    Video Card: EVGA 9800 GTX+
    RAM: OCZ2P10664GK PC2 8500 (2x)

Let me know if you are looking for any more information!

Any help or input to this problem would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  2. Oddba11

May 12, 2011
    First Name:
    Continuous beeping typically signifies faulty hardware...motherboard or power supply depending on the BIOS brand.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031681