1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer won't turn off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidx, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidx

davidx Thread Starter

hi I've got a machine with an intel 810 chipset, pcchips motherboard, and 466 processor running win2000prof and it doesnot turn off.

What happens is that you shutdown and it goes to the now safe to turn off your computer screen then just stops without turning itself off.

That I wouln't mind but when you hit the power switch on the case it does nothing the only way to turn it off is to switch it off at the wall.

After switching it off on the wall when you turn the wall switch back on it behaves as normal (that is it doesn't start) and when you want to start it again just hit the case power button and it starts, but of course wont fully turn off.
    Any ideas? Motherboard; Bios; (Powersupply ok newish)

2. hw45

hw45

Sounds like a wrong BIOS setting in Power Management. What is when you keep your finger longer then 4 sec. on the power button to switch off?

3. davidx

davidx Thread Starter

checked
    When I keep my finger on the button longer than 4seconds it powers down but then reboots kinda like when you push the reset.

is this controlled in the bios?

4. hw45

hw45

That has to do with 'Power Loss Restart' probably. You can find out in your motherboard manual - bios setup.

5. Bigdusa

Bigdusa

I have the same problem w/ same board. It powered off fine using Win 98 but after loading XP Pro it doesn't power off at shutdowm... I checked the BIOs and don't see anything that may resolve the problem.

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Maybe a BIOS upgrade is needed? Checked the manufacturer's site?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice