Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer won't turn on but motherboard and GPU lights are on

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  replay 
#1 ·
I recently had to take my computer in to be fixed only to find out my GPU was fried but the guy there was going to way overcharge me to install a new GPU so I decided to do it myself as I have done so before. So I got a new video card, I installed it, I clicked the power button and the cpu fan spins for half a second and then nothing. I called the computer guy and he said when he had it there it was working fine with other video cards and would start up fine. So now I don't want to pay him yet again to try to figure out why it won't even turn on. I've try reseating the memory, reseating the GPU. The lights on the motherboard and the lights for the power inputs to my GPU are on and yet it still won't start. I don't know what to do next. I hope one of you fine people here can help :)

My specs in case it matters:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 980 OC
RAM: 12GB
PSU: 750W

#2 · (Edited)
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Logo
Rectangle Font Circle Handwriting Parallel

What's the brand name and complete model number and revision number of the motherboard?

What's the brand name and complete model number of the 750W power supply?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Your "computer guy" doesn't appear to be very reliable.

We have no way of knowing what he did to your computer and why it won't start and load Windows, so it may be difficult or impossible to address the issue.

Be patient and wait for one of the hardware experts here to reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
well, ECS is a terrible motherboard manufacture and Ultra is a very low end psu brand (tiger directs own brand.. now out of business)
sorry :(

do u have a less power hungry video card to try (borrow one) just to rule out the psu doesn't have the "juice" for the 980

#5 ·
well, ECS is a terrible motherboard manufacture and Ultra is a very low end psu brand (tiger directs own brand.. now out of business)
sorry :(

do u have a less power hungry video card to try (borrow one) just to rule out the psu doesn't have the "juice" for the 980
Unfortunately the only other one I have is the dead one that I was replacing. I tried booting it up without the video card in at all. Not sure if that would make a difference or just make it not boot anyways but it just did the same thing. Not sure if that matters or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.