1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dj_bowser, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dj_bowser

dj_bowser Thread Starter

Hi everybody.
    I got home from a 4 day vacation to find that I had left my computer on. So, I turned my monitor on and nothing came up. I tried a few times, then i tried pushing the reboot button on the computer and it didnt work... multiple times again.
    So, I got fed up and just unplugged the darn thing. I plugged it back in, and just my luck, the computer doesnt turn on anymore. I think i mightve messed up the power supply or something, does anyone have any advice?
    Anything appreciated, thanks

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Any storms while you were absent? Might have taken a strike/surge. Hope not.

3. dj_bowser

dj_bowser Thread Starter

actually, yes there was. but will the power of the computer stay on until it is unplugged?
    i was under teh impression that if there was a power surge the computer would just fry and turn off...hmmm

4. Cosmic

Cosmic

Go from the basics. First ensure 115 Vac is available to the computer.

Remove cover, fire up and see if anything is moving. Check the On / Off switch (One hint here, take one out of a junk computer and just plug it in for a quick check or can maybe even just sneak the wire cable over from another computer, nice to have a spare for situations like this). Can screw around and jump it but I never like that.

Any fans rotating, Listen for hard drive. If nothing seems to be perking, first logical order would be pull power supply, remove cover on power supply, look for dirt shorting it out, burn marks saying it has failed. Check its fuse.

Go from there depending on what is found. First order of business ensure you have juice. I would concentrate of the On / Off switch / Power supply first. The part about you thought power was available (maybe to fans) and now there is nothing doesn't sort of make sense. Almost points to Mobo.

If lightning was involved can be a fun exercise. :D

5. dj_bowser

dj_bowser Thread Starter

yea the fans were spinning , im not so sure that the computer was... well.. actually ON
    but i could hear the fans which gave me that impression.
    i looked inside the power supply and its pretty filthy and dusty in there, not sure if that could be the problem but ill clean it out.

6. Cosmic

Cosmic

Be sure to check for that fuse, should have one, some are clipped, some soldered. When it gets real fuzzy in there can short out and blow that fuze, that might be what shut you down.

7. DCreature

DCreature

I had my computer for a night, during the night I had my aircon on which will switch its power usage from time to time. I wake up to see my computer off but fan spinning.. PSU was ****ed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice