Computer won't turn on :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rez

Ok, I've just got home and my computer will absolutely NOT turn on. I press the power button and nothing happens. Tried checking the power button connection to the motherboard and that the plug socket works correctly but all seems in order.

What's going on!??

Rez

I've tried a different power cord but to no avail. I've also now opened up the power supply itself but doesn't look like anything has blown.

I remember when I shutdown the system last night it suddenly cut out but there wasn't any bang or anything I just thought it was a bit strange.

It's a 230W Macron Power PSU for the record.

if it was working before, and you didn't do anything and it isn't working now at all, i'd lay money on the power supply.

if you have a voltmeter, plug the p/s in and see if you have any current at all (check the net for the proper pins to test, i don't have that handy at the moment). however, if you don't then just go and buy a new power supply and save the receipt. if the new one works then you can throw the old one away, and if that doesn't work return the new one and let us know!

Rez

Ok, thanks for your help thus far. I shall order a new power supply and hopefully that will solve the problem.

I checked all the connections inside the power supply and put it back together but that didn't help so probably best if I just buy a new one.

Can I just replace it with any 230 V p/s?

Also, I could just buy a new case for cheap with a power supply. How difficult is it to transfer all the components over to a new case?

What kind of pc is it . . many of the Dells, HP's and Compaq's have a proprietary power supply with non-standard connections.

wrs

First thing to do would be to disconnect all drives, USB devices, firewire devices and try booting. Many times a drive can be faulty and stop a PC from booting.. While you have the case open, do the smell test to smell for burning smells.

Some PS's have a memory effect and need to be reset, if there's a large off/on switch on the PS itself then try flipping it off and on a few times before attempting to boot. Check any surge protectors and try different outlets.

Rez

Thanks for the site link. It says I need 221 Watts for my system.

The PC was not built by a mainstream supplier such as Dell etc. - it was custom built and quite a lot of components have been added in over time.

The system has worked for about 2 years with an extra DVD-Drive than it has now as well.

I have an old Dell PC which I could nick the PS from but I'm not sure that would work. It's come from a P2 300 Mhz machine and says 'DC Output: 200W' on it.

Fortunately, I don't use this system for general computer usage, only as a mail and intranet web server and for storage so it's not too urgent but obviously I need access to a lot of the stuff on it. For the record, the system contains the following components:

AMD Duron 900 Mhz
1 x 128 MB PC133 SDRAM
1 x 256 MB PC100 SDRAM
1 x 80 GB 7200 rpm HDD
1 x 20 GB 5400 rpm HDD
1 x CD-ROM Drive
1 x Sound Blaster sound card
1 x Geforce 3 Ti500

If I needed to reduce the power needed, I wouldn't mind removing the CD-Drive, sound card and 128 MB stick of RAM temporarily.

Thanks for your help.

Have you confirmed that power is coming from the wall outlet? Try plugging a lamp or some other electronic device to make sure it works.

Rez

Yes, the monitor works fine running off the same plug.

etaf

Wayne
if you are adding things to the PC and its a home built - i would get a 350W PSU min.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online