1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't turn on ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cvaughn, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cvaughn

Cvaughn Thread Starter

Wasn't sure where to post this.

For the last two days our 2nd computer will not even turn on. (n) Tried switching plugs, still wouldn't turn on.:( What the heck ? Any suggestions advice etc ? :confused:

2. fourth

fourth

when it is plugged in, take the side off the case and see if there are any lights u can see on.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My first thought would be a failed power supply however you need to provide a lot more info.

1 Is this a new build or has it been working for a while?

2 Post your exact system specs. If it is a pre-built system, brand, model number. If a custom build, motherboard, memory, video card, and what pw supply is installed.

3 Have you added any new hardware or have you been inside the case?

4. Cvaughn

Cvaughn Thread Starter

No no lights nothing

5. Cvaughn

Cvaughn Thread Starter

This is not a new build we have been using it for 2 years, has been working fine.
    I don't know the specs. ugh It is a Shuttle X ?? It was custom built for us.

we have not been inside nor have we added anything. We were actually out of town for 1 week, come home try to start it and nothing.

6. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

no power = start with power supply. I believe the shuttle x is a small form factor compact machine and they will get a little warmer than a conventional machine

If your adventurous, open the power supply and look at the capacitors, see if any have a bulging top or what looks like a leaking battery on the top. I have even seen blown caps, kinda looks like brown paper bag bits in the power supply

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A lot of those small form factor systems come with pretty weak pw supplies. If you do replace the ps, make sure it is one for a SFF.

8. Cvaughn

Cvaughn Thread Starter

Nope nothing like that :-(

9. Treasurerat

Treasurerat

plug in another appliance(lamp) to rule out a possible breaker problem in the house..may not be your system at all ...then check the pw supply issue if you have power to the wall plug

10. Cvaughn

Cvaughn Thread Starter

:( nah I've tried 3 different outlets in 3 different areas, not that. (n)
    Could it be the cord ? Do they ever have issues ?

11. hotskates

hotskates

my laptop's battery completely ran out the other day. I plugged in the powercord and tried to startup the laptop and it just kept dying. Even the green light on the power cord wasn't lit up. I unplugged everything (the cord from the wall and the cord from the laptop), then I plugged everything back in and left it for an hour. Then everything worked great again and it charged and started up. Somehow since the laptop died everything else froze too. I should have left the laptop alone to charge after the battery ran out instead of trying to start it on ac/dc power.

12. Cvaughn

Cvaughn Thread Starter

well it ended up being the power supply. So ordered a new one, hubby tried install it, well actually he did install it, we plugged the computer in, and heard a little pop and it again would not start up :-( ugh, so computer has been sent back to the guy who originally built it for us.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice