1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't work after fall! (Moved from Windows 7 forum)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SlinkyMink, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlinkyMink

SlinkyMink Thread Starter

My Intel Inside Core i5 HP laptop dropped by accident earlier today, about 2-3 feet from a tabletop. It went out immediately and I tried turning it back on. It shows these screens in order:
    HP logo (press the ESC key for startup menu)
    Press F3 to boot into recovery mode
    Windows is loading files.. (Loading bar)
    Microsoft Corporation (Loading bar)
    Then a blank lit black screen for at least 3 minutes.
    Then a blue design background with the small hummingbird/flower detail. My cursor is larger than usual, and still a generally blank screen with nothing to click on. This continues for a while. I am currently waiting for something to change.

After it dropped, I noticed the battery was hanging out of the back and it was trickier than usual to snap it back in. I noticed when I unplug the laptop, it shuts off immediately and abruptly whether the battery was in or not.

I need to get it working again ASAP, and I am new to this website, so I would appreciate quick, detailed help. Thanks!

2. Coco767

Coco767

You might want to take it to a truste computer repair shop to see if they can fix it. Or several, if you absolutely have to.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Obviously a laptop will shut down without a battery when it is unplugged.

If it shuts down immediately after it is unplugged with a battery in, that indicates a problem with a) the battery b) the connector between the battery and the laptop.

The fact that you dropped it and the battery was hanging out of the laptop, I suspect you damaged the connector between the laptop and the battery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!