1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer working Extremely slow. Not sure what the issue is

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Macavy, Jan 9, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
  2. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

Oh. . .do I need a disc by force or can I load it from a USB? I already tried loading it on a USB and it didn't work so I'm assuming probably not. Don't know if I have any blank CDs to burn the file on lying around.

3. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    You shoukd be able to run from USB. Make sure to disable,secure boot and enable legacy mode in bios

4. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

I really needed this thing to work by today so I ended up reinstalling Windows after all haha. I gave the USB a try but it didn't boot, still.
    I finally also asked my friend and looked up more info and we're both convinced it's the harddrive having issues - maybe a faulty cable or the harddrive itself. Windows must have messed up from all the disconnecting but thankfully all of the important stuff I managed to transfer and only lost some game data.

Thank you SO MUCH for trying to help me through all this. I at least know what direction I should go towards if this happens again (which I am expecting - will need to call the manufacturer about the harddrive eventually). Again, thank you so much.

5. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
  6. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

Slower than it should, but working.
    Thank you! I will do that.

7. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Ok you may also want to run memory test with the following tool

Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 passes. This may take hours so plan to run it overnight. If you get any errors then abort testing. Test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes.

http://www.memtest.org/

8. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

I did the first test and drive passed most tests. It only 'failed' one SMART test.
    Does the memtest86 run in the background? I ran it but no window has popped up showing me the status or anything.

9. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
  10. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

Oohh I see. Ok, then that's something I can prepare for for tonight. Thank you. I'll report back in the morning.

11. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Sure let me know the results

12. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

I let it go for 9 passes (took a whole day haha) and it didn't find any errors.
    I've been trying to get the long test on the Harddrive to work but it keeps failing. I'm going to change my sleep settings to it doesn't fall asleep after 20 minutes and let it run while I'm at work. Hopefully that works.

13. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Thats good on memory but doesnt sound to good on hard drive. Let me know after trying to run again.

14. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

It tried for maybe a minute before it said failed again. Not good i bet.

15. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    No, sounds like time to replace. I am glad you made the backup earlier.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202567