1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Wouldn't Start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkmetallica, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darkmetallica

Darkmetallica Thread Starter

i'm not sure if this is the right section as i've just joined :)

but basically a friend of mine wanted me to put some bits in for him...

now i've changed cd-drives a few times and plugged my hard drive back in a few times after a friend who has done computer repairs for a company was showing me how to get down to the motherboard...

i put the Cd-drive in for this friend put the hard drive in took the ram out to see what type it was, it ended up being different to the others so i put it back... it all clicked into place like a good stick of ram should. put the casing all back on plugged the computer to the mains....nothing...

immediately my blood ran cold and i was thinking " oh dear :eek: " i knew i hadn't done anything out of the ordinary. it had me quite perplexed, i unplugged the hard drive and the cd-drive put the casing back tried another power lead...

it started up, so we took the power cable out i plugged the hard drive back in along with the cd-drive. nothing again so i repeated the unplugging and put the power cable back in and nothing still, i was convinced it must be a loose wire. anyway my friend rang his and he agreed it sounded like a loose wire. he appeared the next day ( i wasn't there ) and said the ram was put in the wrong way and that it had blown the PSU he put a new PSU in and it all worked...

now correct me if i'm wrong but this sounds a little fishy. first off it would blow the ram and not the PSU as the ammount of electricity flowing through the ram is SOOO minute!
    and second to put the ram in wrong would leave the ram in pieces...yes?

i've seen you guys are good at problem solving... so c'mon guys :p what's your verdict? loose wire inside the psu? ( i've never been in a PSU as i've been told it's not wise )

2. ajefferson

ajefferson

bit strange... put the ram in wrong way, yep, can damage the ram. (the data pin is powered which can burn the ic), tis can only happened to version earlier than DDRam though, whr only 1 slotting corrector (in the middle too).

But, with PSU blown up/damaged by wrong RAM slotting... I guess it might be the case since wrong slotting can shortcircuit PSU.

3. Darkmetallica

yeah it was DDR2 i think ... but like i say i'm confident that the ram click back like it should... gave it a light pull to make sure it didn't come out :confused: was all rather weird

4. Cildaten

Cildaten

Backwards ram can do alot, including mobo damage.
    Just be glad it was only the PSU, "IF" you caused the problem that is.

5. ajefferson

ajefferson

Well, in that case, you're pretty lucky to just burn PSU.

I had the same problem, years back (when my computer still 386), and blown (I mean damaged) the entire Motherboard (it used to be called... Melting, whr the mobo overheat due to overcurrent and burn some components).

6. Darkmetallica

hmm what confused me though is there was no noises... and he just stuck a new PSU in and all worked fine.... oh well never going to know what really happened :) thanks guys

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice