1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sinatra253, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinatra253

sinatra253 Thread Starter

i have a virus in a old computer i want to delete every thing in it and re install windows xp can i do this and where and how do i go about it and the give it to my friend thanks for any help i can get

2. n2gun

n2gun

I assume you have a cd drive as you want to load windows xp. Use a windows 98 or newer boot disk in the floppy drive. Start with cd drive support. Then you can format the hard drive and remove evrything from it and start over. At the dos prompt type format c: and hit enter. When it asks if you want to continue click yes and format it. Then go to the cd drive and install win xp. Note: when booting windows will move the cd rom up one letter. ex: d: becomes E: , as it loads diagnostic programs on boot.

3. thingy

thingy

I may be mistaken in this as I don't have XP but I am under the impression from XP Forums that you can't install XP from DOS.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Welcome to TSG.

Microsoft want you use Windows XP Setup Boot Disks (Q310994), see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994

But here is something else you can try:

To install Windows XP from DOS (ie. no OS on a new hard drive):

Boot with a Windows 98 Start Up disk

Insert the Windows 98 CD into the CD reader

Run smartdrv.exe from the Win98 directory on the windows 98 CD (file caching)

Type cd.. to back up to the root directory

Insert Windows XP CD into the CD reader

Copy the i386 folder to C:\

Go into C:\i386 folder on C: and type winnt32.exe to launch the setup from the hard drive.

Let us know what you did and how you made out.

5. Toddles18

Toddles18

Go to your bios settings and make your first boot device your
    cd-rom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!