1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computers and printers not visible within the workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by emery, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emery

emery Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a problem: in the classical P2P windows network the computers cannot see each other as well as no shared printers are visible. Last week everything was working just fine, but after that some changes were made (reinstalling 2 PCs, adding 2 more) it doesn't work. Weird point is, that all the computers with the previously installed printers can still use that, evethough it is not possible to add any new.

In the network, there are about 15 computers, majority of them on Win XP SP3. All the computers are within the same workgroup, all the IP and DNS settings are on automatic.
    The network is built on 1 router and 4 switches.
    It is used basically only for printers sharing, not for file sharing (separate Linux server is designated for that).

Anyone has any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks a lot!!!

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

You can only have 10 simultaneous connections in a Workgroup environment with XP. That might be where your problem is lying.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    10 with XP Pro; 5 with XP Home.

4. emery

emery Thread Starter

How is it then possible, that until the last week everything has worked just fine with more than 10 computers in the workgroup? Aren't these limitations for file sharing only?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No. As ShadowProwler420 stated, "simultaneous connections." Note that he also said, "That might be where your problem is lying." [emphasis added by me]

As for me, I confess to not fully understanding your problem. You say, "the computers cannot see each other." Does that mean no computer "sees" any other computer? Does "see" mean "ping by IP address"? If not, please try to improve my understanding.

6. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

Is it possible this is a Master Browser issue?

7. emery

emery Thread Starter

Sorry for poorly explaining my problem. I can ping the computers but what I meant is that I cannot open the workgroup from the "Network places" as well as I´m not able to list the network printers directly from "Add printer".
    At the end I managed to install the printers by entering their IP directly, but still I am not able to access the localy shared folders, eventhough as I said it is only a minor problem as we use the linux file server which as accessible without any problems by all the computers.
    That means the problem is really in connecting to the workgroup via Windows, not in connection via direct IP address.

Hope it is more clear now, what problem I have.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Perhaps you could post the following from one of the working computers, and one of the new ones that doesn't connect?

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

9. emery

emery Thread Starter

Here is the log from cmd - it is in Czech, but I guess the most important things should be clear what is what ;-)

Microsoft Windows XP [Verze 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Filip Kurowski>nbtstat -n

Připojení k místní síti:
    Adresa IP uzlu: [192.168.2.124] ID oboru: []

Tabulka místních názvů systému NetBIOS

Název Typ Stav
    ---------------------------------------------
    RUDOLF <00> JEDINE&#268;NÉ Registrovaný
    BB <00> SKUPINA Registrovaný
    RUDOLF <20> JEDINE&#268;NÉ Registrovaný
    BB <1E> SKUPINA Registrovaný

C:\Documents and Settings\Filip Kurowski>ipconfig /all

Konfigurace protokolu IP systému Windows

Název hostitele . . . . . . . . . : Rudolf
    Primární p&#345;ípona DNS. . . . . . . :
    Typ uzlu . . . . . . . . . . . . : hybridní
    Povoleno sm&#283;rování IP . . . . . . : Ne
    WINS Proxy povoleno . . . . . . . : Ne

Adaptér sít&#283; Ethernet P&#345;ipojení k místní síti:

P&#345;ípona DNS podle p&#345;ipojení . . . :
    Popis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E G
    igabit Ethernet NIC
    Fyzická Adresa. . . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-09-0C-0E
    Protokol DHCP povolen . . . . . . : Ano
    Automatická konfigurace povolena : Ano
    Adresa IP . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.124
    Maska podsít&#283; . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Výchozí brána . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Server DHCP . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Servery DNS . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Zap&#367;j&#269;eno . . . . . . . . . . . . : 20. &#345;íjna 2008 8:42:47
    Záp&#367;j&#269;ka vyprší . . . . . . . . . : 27. &#345;íjna 2008 8:42:47

C:\Documents and Settings\Filip Kurowski>

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We need both the working and non-working computer information. Which was this one?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Gombot raised a question about the Master Browser. Exactly one of the computers should be the Master Browser, which means that exactly one of the computers should have the line " ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered" included in the nbtstat -n.

If you find multiple master browsers there is some reason those computers are not "seeing" each other, usually caused by firewall(s). Workgroups do not work properly unless there is exactly one master browser on the network.

12. emery

emery Thread Starter

Well the point is that at the moment I´m not able to open the workgroup via the "Network places" from any of the computers. So this was from the non-working computer as all of them are basically non-working.

13. emery

emery Thread Starter

TerryNet: and is there any way how to find the Master Browser other than checking on all of the computers manually/separately?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See this post.

I have used browmon.exe on XP successfully. It fails to run for me in Vista. I do not know if it will identify multiple Master Browsers, but it will for sure identify at least one.

15. emery

emery Thread Starter

Well in browmon the Master Browser is written to be "unknown" ... also when I was trying to open the workgroup there it replied that "the list of servers for the workgroup is not available" :-/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice