1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer's Blue... and I am too :-(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FemmeKat, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FemmeKat

FemmeKat Thread Starter

Okay... I admit it. I made a mistake. A BIG Mistake.

I didn't backup. At least not everything. I really didn't believe things could get this bad.

Here's what happened...

A few months ago I bought some hardware and memory to boost and enhance the performance on my 4 year old Dimension 2400. It was running with just 750 or so MB of RAM, and a monitor that was getting noisier every day.

So I picked up 1GB module of RAM, a Dell flat screen monitor, a firewire card, and a Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 keyboard and mouse. Yesterday, I decided it was time to get everything installed and start using them.

One reason I had waited so long to do the installations was because I had planned on backing everything up on my hard drives (one internal drive was added last year to back up some files). But I've been exceptionally busy, and hadn't found the time to do it. Well, I finally decided to just go ahead and install it, and if things went wrong, I felt I would be able to troubleshoot any problems (silly me).

After installing everything, I went to sleep a little early last night, as my work schedule has been really taxing on my body and mind. I was pleased to see that all went well with the installs... or so I thought.

When I walked into my office this morning, I noticed that my monitor was still on. Normally, the computer will kick into hibernation mode. Apparently that had not happened.

The monitor had white text on a blue screen. I wrote down the message, and started searching on Google for solutions. Here's part of what the message was:

==*~*~*~*~*~*==
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any window updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
    STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0001CAF4, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)

==*~*~*~*~*~*==

I restarted my computer, then after it was completed, it suddenly shut down and another blue screen appeared, with this being part of that message:

==*~*~*~*~*~*==
    Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufactirer for updates. Try changing video adapters.

(more text)

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0x8054B539, 0xB0D6C82C, 0x00000000)

==*~*~*~*~*~*==

The next time it restarted, I was able to access and send the information about the error to Microsoft, and was sent to a page that included a downloadable program for correcting problems with the drivers. Right as I was saving the webpage with the instructions, the computer shut down and up came another blue screen.

It was another 0x0000008E type error, so I restarted it, pressing F8, and next clicked to use the Last good configuration for the restart. Then a page with a light grey background (as I recall), and the following on it:

==*~*~*~*~*~*==
    Checking file system on C. The type of file system is NTFS.

One of your disks need to be checked for consisitency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

Windows will now check the disk.

==*~*~*~*~*~*==

It went on checking, and eventually a few lines appeared that I was able to copy. The rest disappeared almost as soon as they showed up. Here are the ones I wrote down:

==*~*~*~*~*~*==
    Deleting index entry data~0 in index $I30 of file 2979
    Recovering orphaned file data~0 (9896) into directory file 2979

==*~*~*~*~*~*==

After that, it restarted and immediately shut down again, with another blue screen. Then another. Then another. Most had the same type of messages.

Each time, I tried to do something that would prevent the crash. First, I removed the external hard drive that was connected to the new firewire port, and then with the next restart, I was able to remove the driver to the new keyboard, and the restart after that, I reconnected my old keyboard and mouse.

Here's a brief overview of the "STOP" codes:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0001CAF4, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9) - 2 similar -
    STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0x8054B539, 0xB0D6C82C, 0x00000000) - 4 similar -
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE14FAADA, 0x00000000, 0x8054B3E5, 0x00000001) - 3 similar -
    STOP: 0x000000C5 (0x00181000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80541338F) - only 1 -
    STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x898c8270, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000) - 2 similar

The crashes continued, and so I removed the new flat panel monitor, and tried to startup in Safe Mode. That's when I got this message:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Next, I decided to try a System Restore. When I was able to startup and get to it, I opened System Restore and used the last point that was recorded 12 hours before I started my installs. That's when it shut down again.

After that, I haven't been able to get anywhere. It's just one bluescreen message after another, with each attempt at starting up in Safe Mode, Last Good Configuration, etc. sending me to a whole page of messages like these, only each one has the word DRIVER in it:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS

I've not been able to do anything else with it since.

So my questions are:

Can I salvage what's on my hard drives, and if so, HOW?

Can I use another computer to access my hard drives on my desktop PC, like you can with a Mac? I have an Inspiron 6000 laptop running Windows XP Pro. My Dimension 2400 is running Windows XP Home Edition. Is there a way to access my desktop with my laptop?

How can I fix what's obviously broken, preferably without doing a complete system install?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas you have on what will work, and make me turn from blue :( (here, I'm purple) to sunny orange-yellow! :)

FemmeKat

2. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

so am i correct in assuming that you put in the upgrades you bought now, and it doesn't work?

If that is the correct assumption, remove the upgrades, backup your data and find out the proper ram type for your pc and see if that was/is the problem, as for the data, yes it should be recoverable as from your description it looks like you may have incompatable hardware, (unless I missed something)

3. FemmeKat

FemmeKat Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, mozzacajun.

The upgrades I was referring to were the wireless keyboard and mouse, the flat panel screen, the firewire card, and the new RAM. The only software I installed was the driver for the wireless keyboard, which I removed. I also disconnected the keyboard and the monitor (put back my old ones), and removed the external hard drive which was plugged into the new firewire port. I did not install any software for the hard drive.

So what's still connected, as far as what I installed/attached yesterday, is the firewire card and the memory.

Are you suggesting I remove those as well?

FemmeKat

4. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

i'm placing my bets on the memory, but i would remove everything new you added, then add items back one at a time.

5. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

I would also let the checkdisk finish, there may have been issues with your hd before and now you have installed something that wrote its bit of info onto the bad area of the hd

6. FemmeKat

FemmeKat Thread Starter

Okay... I'll remove them. And I did let the checkdisk finish when it ran. Should I run it again, if I can get to it after uninstalling the memory and the firewire card? Because right now I can't get to anything on my hard drive.

Thanks!

FemmeKat

7. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

You could try, removing everything does not mean that the problem is not the hard drive, but because it worked prior to the added items, it would indicate that one may be the offending item. Do you have a second pc available? If so you can slave the drive in and perform your backup of important data.

If you have your windows cd available, you can run a scandisk /r to perform a repair

8. FemmeKat

FemmeKat Thread Starter

Well, I removed the firewire card, and the same message appeared that I had been getting consistently for the last several attempts:

==*~*~*~*~*~*==
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop Error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer.

Technical info.

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x898c8270, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

==*~*~*~*~*~*==

So, I shut off the power, removed the 1GB memory card, restarted, and now I have this message (partial):

==*~*~*~*~*~*==
    The amount of system memory has changed.
    Diskette drive 0 seek failure
    Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

==*~*~*~*~*~*==

Not sure which I should choose. When I first installed the 1GB memory yesterday, I received a similar message, and I just clicked F1 to continue. Could that be where my problems started?

Don't know, but it was running fine for well over three hours last night after I installed everything. It's possible that when my scheduled anti-virus scan began, the trouble did as well.

Anyway... in answer to your other question, yes... I do have a second PC... a laptop. That's actually the question I asked in my first post: Can I use my laptop to access my PC hard drive and get my files off of there.

So how do I go about doing that?

And what's the best course for where my computer's at right now? Click F1? Or F2.

Thanks!

FemmeKat

9. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

f2, let it load, f10 (save and exit)

10. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

11. kickback999

kickback999

Personally I would try f1 and see what it says.
    Then again, personally I would ditch Windows and use Linux.
    Anyway, the last error message seems to point the finger at memory, although in my experience computers problems usually relate back to the ram. Since you took the 1gb out and the message is changed, is the hdd still in there?
    That message sound like there is no boot device. If no then try the HD back in the pc and reboot. If so then go to setup and make sure the hard disk is set as 2nd boot decive (cd 1st) then report back here.

12. FemmeKat

FemmeKat Thread Starter

Well, after hitting F2, and then Esc (did not have anything on screen related to F2... thought it would be better to use the methods discussed on the page, "Esc" being one of them), the same message as above popped up, except the second set of numbers has changed to 0x82F97258:

==*~*~*~*~*~*==
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop Error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer.

Technical info.

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F97258, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

==*~*~*~*~*~*==

Darn!

As far as that drive adapter is concerned, will I be able to use it to take the files from my Dimension 2400 to my Inspiron 6000? How about if the operating system is corrupted on the Dimension's hard drive (which it appears it might be).

I just got off the phone with Dell, and they say that it appears all is lost. They are ready to send "technicians" to my home and wipe out everything and start over. Much easier for them, no doubt. I told the representative that my data was important and I wanted to do what I could to save it before giving in to the "all is lost" attitude. He said they would, in fact, do what they could to save it.

Yeah, right.

Is there is anything else you can suggest, as far as getting my computer up and running so I can save my files? I'll get the adapter if nothing else can be done... and if it will work with my computer.

But I did read a couple of reviews where people had difficulties with it when using a SATA drive versus an IDE drive.

How do I find out what type of drive my Dimension 2400 has?

Thanks for all your help!

FemmeKat

13. kickback999

kickback999

Personally I would never call out a pc companys technicians.
    Have you made sure everything is set properly in the bios?
    Have you then ran chkdsk /f?

14. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

We use that device alot to recover data from drives, the old systems here have ide, the new ones sata, the device is the perfect go between when networking is not an option

15. FemmeKat

FemmeKat Thread Starter

Thanks kickback and mozzacajun.

I ordered the adapter device. Now I just have to be patient as it makes its way across the country.

The only reason I called Dell, kickback, was because I wanted to see what their solutions were. As expected, they were not much help. And because my equipment warranty had recently run out, the rep I was talking to was offering me a "deal" for them to come out and fix it: $39.

Of course, I can think of better ways to spend $39 than to give it to someone whose main goal is to get to the next customer. If a tech came here, there is little doubt that they would have done very little in the way of attempting to salvage my data.

Thanks again! Will do my best to let you know how everything works out once I get that nifty little device humming along.

:)

FemmeKat

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice