1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computers hanging before launching programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amillner, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amillner

amillner Thread Starter

Hi -

I work at a university and I have recently run into some problems with some computers here at work. I have had five computers in total demonstrate some strange behavior. These computers are either Windows 2000 or Windows XP machines. Only two of them are on the same floor - so they are spread throughout the building. But basically what happens is when you try to start any program or even open a folder or My Computer it takes maybe 30 seconds to a full minute for it to open. Once the program or folder opens the speed is fine and the program is fully functional. The only catch is this - if you disable or unplug the network connection the computer works fine - programs open within 1 or 2 seconds. But when you re-enable it they slow down dramatically.
    I have looked for viruses on the computers without success (one had Klez but I believe it was unrelated to this problem). When the computer is trying to launch the program the network performance monitor in the task manager is at 0%. The CPU performance monitor in the task manager is at 0% as well. I have tried different profiles, I have tried uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus, I have tried Microsoft updates, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the network card, I have tried installing Windows XP over top of an old copy, I have run Norton Virus scan from the Symantec site that will tell you if you have any viruses. No viruses. These computers are on different subnets, some have only the very basic programs installed... some have a bunch of programs installed. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason.
    The only thing that does fix the computer is re-formatting the disk and reinstalling all the software and moving the files back onto the computer. Then the computer works fine with the network cable enabled. Also one of the people told me it was a gradual process - their computers got worse and worse as time went on. I have cleared all their temp. internet files, cookies, etc...

I have spent a lot of time on these. I've tried to remember everything I have attempted to fix these computers but probably didn't mention everything.

Please help if you have any ideas.

Thanks

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Have you tried a program such as Spybot ?

If these machines are used for surfing the web then they are probably loaded up with junk.

3. amillner

amillner Thread Starter

Thanks I will try that and get back to you but generally these people use the computers for work and don't have much crap on them.
    Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice