1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computers intermittently cannot access websites

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by videocheez, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. videocheez

videocheez Thread Starter

I have been having some strange problems lately accessing the web via my little home network. I have three computers on the Network and a LinksysDual WAN RVO82 router as the DHCP server.
    Frequently when I try to access a website i will get the error that says contact your network admin. This happens intermittently on all three computers. If i repair the network connection it will some times fix itself and I can use my browser agan. The strange part is that so far it only appears to be websurfing that is affected because even though I can't surf, i still can fileshare and play online games. Of my three computers one has xpro, one has media center 2005 and the other has a copy of xpro that has a non genuine version of windows apparently. Any help or advice to help trouble shoot this situation will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

VC

2. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

Okay, well, first I'd take that non-genuine machine off your network.

Next, I'd try to install a different browser. I'm assuming you are using Internet Explorer 7, am I right? Please specify. Download Firefox 2.0 and see if that makes any difference. I was getting lots of error messages with IE 7 on my wireless network, but Firefox 2.0 doesn't have any problems and I like it better... :)

Second, please specify if you have user accounts on the computers, Novell, or some other user account system. And I'm guessing you are labeled as the admin on all computers, am I right? Well, log into all the accounts of admin, then try, as I said, with Firefox.

Another reason is that you are using too many tabs in IE's new tabbed browsing. Might want to just open different windows once you have 3 or more tabs.

Can you specify your system specifications on all 3 machines?

Thanks,
    Simon :)

3. techy689

techy689

Firstly, for the machine that isn't genuine... if you bought it genuine reinstall the operating system.

Next, change your DHCP server to renew the IP address around every 24 hours. I think you may be having an IP conflict. Do you ever get any kind of error messages on any of the computers?

4. videocheez

videocheez Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Your suggestionled me in the right direction. It turns out that the dsl sid of dual wan router had some kinda goofy conflict. The cable side was fine. Everytime I switched over to the dsl side i lost my connection. I reconfigered my router and it was all good.

No. I'm not using IE7 but thanks for the tip about the multi-tab browsing. I'll remeber that in the futuer if I play with IE7 which is starting to remind me of firefox.

Thanks again for the help guys,

VC

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice