Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computers internet has slowed down dramatically

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  RoboRoof 
#1 ·
I had my computer built using CyberPower around december, and after a month my internet speeds started to decline dramatically, to the point where now i can't even play a game like minecraft or go onto discord without major connection issues. I ran an internet speed test several times, one two months ago where the speeds were around 50mbps download and upload speed, another a week ago where it had declined to 5mgbs download and upload speed, and just a few hours ago where i am now at .75mbps download and 6mbps upload speed. My ping itself has not changed, and has stayed around 9 this entire time.. My household has three computers, and several mobile devices, but it is only the computer in question that is suffering the slowed speed. We have already tried a different Router, and changed from Wi-fi to hard wired and still the problem persists. I've noticed that while observing my Windows Task manager that my disk readout which used to stay at 40% or 50% when i opened a game now can shoot up to 100% usage. My CPU and memory seem to be getting into higher numbers as well, though not as dramatically. I already ran a malware/virus scan, and updated my drivers.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.70GHz 30 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB (CPUSocket) 27 °C
Graphics
HP 25es (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 26 °C
Storage
2794GB TOSHIBA HDWD130 (SATA ) 36 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

See less See more
#4 ·
Since no other devices slowed down, and the only other noticeable symptom was the increase in hard disk work. It could still be a problem with the hard drive. If you have an older drive, try installing Windows on it and put it into the system and remove the 3TB drive. Do not do the Windows install or boot with both drives installed or Windows will get very confused. See if there is a difference in network speed. I am suspecting faulty drive mechanics or bad sectors. When Windows is not working right, networking can suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.