1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computers not seeing each other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by poodyw, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poodyw

poodyw Thread Starter

I have three home computers networked with a 3 port Ethernet router. They are hooked to a cable modem that works fine allowing internet access on all three computers. All three computers are using Windows 98 SE. The problem is that I cannot get the computers to look at each other. They see themselves in the Network neighborhood but they will not recognize one another. I was told to set up everything in the following configuration :

Right clicking on the Network Neighborhood
    1.Client for Microsoft Networks is set up.
    2.File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks is set up and
    Browse master is on automatic for each of the computers.
    3. TCP/IP (Home) Realtek RTL8029 (AS)PCI Ethernet NIC is set up like this:
    IP Address: Obtain an IP address automatically
    WINS Configuration: Use DHCP for WINS Resolution
    Gateway: empty
    DNS Configuration: Disable DNS
    Binding has everything clicked

The hard drives and printers are all clicked to share
    What else do I do? Or What am I doing wrong?

2. mtrvideo

mtrvideo

You didn't mention if you gave each computer a unique computer name and whether or not you told each computer to be part of the same workgroup. check your network neighborhood properties, identification. The computer name is not the same as your logon name, each computer must have its own name.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

along the lines of mtrvideo's info:

workgroup name must be the same for all
    computer name must be different for all

there must be at least ONE file, folder, or drive set as shared on each PC
    - how much you share depends on what you want to see between each PC AND your security (ie firewall, as a 2nd line of defense to the NATS protection provided by your router)

a more advanced method is using netbuie protocol instead of tcp/ip for file sharing

to set file, folder, or drive as shared
    use windows explorer or my computer
    - right click on file, folder, or drive
    click on sharing
    click 'shared as'
    give it a name

when that's done for each PC you should be able to see each PC and access the shared files, folder, or drives

4. poodyw

poodyw Thread Starter

I am feeling really dumb right now. I had Norton Internet Security installed and it was blocking - I disabled the firewall and they see each other fine. Now, I am having trouble configuring the firewall so that it is enabled as a firewall but still allows the computers to see one another. I tried to write a rule but it wouldn't work. Does anyone else use this software and has done this for their home network?

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

not sure about norton
    with ZA (zone alarm) it detected and added the network and subnet the first time it ran, then i gave permissions to it

can you add

192.168.2.0 or 192.168.2.*
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    (or whatever your lan IP range is)

to norton ?

help files any help?

6. poodyw

poodyw Thread Starter

I went in and put the range
    192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.250 as the TCP address range and that seemed to work. Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice