1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computers Power Supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cellyron1348, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cellyron1348

Cellyron1348 Thread Starter

Can someone please explain to me in a simple yet detailed way exactly what a power supply in my computer does?
    Also, there are labels on it that say 120 VAC and,
    12, 5, and 3.3 VDC. What do they mean?

2. HCD

HCD

It's function is to provide varying voltages to the motherboard and other components that make a PC function. The voltages are 12V, 5V and 3.3V. My understanding of VDC is variable direct current. By the same token the 120 VAC refers to Variable Alternating current....that enough?

3. Cellyron1348

Yes, thank you!
    There is one more thing,
    What can I do to help my computer with power outages?

4. HCD

HCD

Power outages in the form of variable supply from electricity supplier? or issues with supply variations in your house?

5. Cellyron1348

Like if the power went out in the house

6. brite750

brite750

7. HCD

HCD

If you are looking to protect your PC from power cuts - then you need to source a UPS (uniterruptible power supply) - type in "UPS for computers" in Google. If you want to maintain clean power that doesn't fluctuate - try Monster - surge protector and power cleaner. Expensive but damned good - can add significantly to life of electrical goods protected by it.

8. HCD

HCD

Should have checked with wiki on definition! - my apologies on VDC and VAC - V is for Volts not Variable! (Thanks Brite750).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice