1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computers won't talk to one another

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MaryXYX, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryXYX

MaryXYX Thread Starter

I recently replaced my router with a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D.

With the previous router the three PCs could ping one another and use shares on one another. Two are Win-10 and one is Linux Mint. Now the Win-10 systems can ping the Linux and use the share on the Linux, but the Win-10 systems don't respond to pings and their shares are not accessible.

As the only thing that has changed is the router I don't know how to proceed. It can't be that the LAN is not working because the Linux box is available.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes with Windows and a new router you need to (simply) disable sharing and then enable it again. I'd Restart each PC between those two actions.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how are the PCs connected - the new router may have disabling the LAN and wireless - some routers have an option to stop wireless and LAN sharing
    and its checkbox in the router configuration pages

4. MaryXYX

MaryXYX Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of disabling and re-enabling file sharing. It sounds a good idea but unfortunately nothing changes.

An XP system is able to talk to the Linux, so the problem does seem to be with this router and Windows 10.

All the computers are wired to the router. If the router had disabled LAN sharing surely it would have blocked the Linux and XP systems too.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes , thats correct, so ignore my suggestions

6. MaryXYX

MaryXYX Thread Starter

I've found the problem - or at least the main one. The network was correctly set to Private, but the firewall hadn't picked it up and was set to Public. Now the Win-10 systems can see each other and the Linux system. The Linux system still can't use shares on the Win-10 systems.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Windows 10 has a new version of SMB. Check Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on and off > SMB 1.0 and enable that. That might be why Linux can't see Win 10 Shares.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice