1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computor slow getting going

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nursej, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nursej

nursej Thread Starter

My computor is very slow. I have Windows XP. It takes about 10 minutes before I can get my homepage up. I have high speed internet which seems to connect quickly but it takes awhile `til I get my homepage up. The icons on my desktop flash-on and off a few times. I have noticed with Task Manager that I have alot of programs running -most of which I don`t know the function. I have Norton anti-virus so I don`t think I have a virus. My computor is an IBMNetvista, nearly two years old. Appreciate any help you can offer!

2. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

You say you have a 2 yr old computer, but you don't give processor or memory data. This shouldn't be your problem, but I think 512 m will make XP run better. Open IE, click tools/internet options: Delete your Temp Internet Files (don't forget to check "offline content"). Delete Cookies, clear History. Run CheckDisk, and defrag drive. D/L SpyBot S&D and AdAware, update them both, and then run them. It will be safe to delete what they find. Hopefully this will help. Go to www.blackviper.com and follow his advice for Services. If you set according to his "Safe" column, you can't go wrong. Also go to Start/Run--type in MSCONFIG and click startup tab. Uncheck any checked items that you don't need running at start up. You want to leave your AV running, of course, also whatever your broadband service provider software placed there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice