1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Concatenating two fields within a report

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by egbot, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. egbot

egbot Thread Starter

I have two field that I want to join within a report. The second field will come directly after the first with a space between the two. Now that is not too difficult, but the problem is that I need them to have different formats. Such as the first one in italics but the second field not. Any ideas on how to do this?

2. Gram123

Gram123

I'm pretty certain that you can't apply two different formats to the same control.

A simple alternative may be to leave the 2 original controls separate and apply your italics or whatever you need.
    If the values in the first control are not of a standardised length, you could right-align this control and left align the second control, so that they always appear with an equal gap between them.

Just a thought...

Gram

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Gram: I was going to say that, but thought it was cheating. LOL!!

Actually, I looked all over the place and cannot find a way either. Now, I know we could do number or text formatting like this:

=format([data1],"0.00")&format([data2],"mm/dd/yyyy")

But I found nothing on FONT formatting it.

You may want to ask here tho:
    http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

If you need it bad enough, I am SURE there is a way to accomplish it using code. My coder's too busy making money for me to ask him...

4. egbot

egbot Thread Starter

Thanks for your great comments. I like two controls next to each other with different alignments, but it doesn't help my situtation. Here's the type of text I'm dealing with (in html to show formating needs):

<b><i>Pinus ponderosa</i></b> P.& C. Lawson <b>var. <i>scopulorum</i></b> Engelm.

5. egbot

egbot Thread Starter

OK, I've found a possible solution but I can't get it to work good enough. You place two text controls right over the other; the first over the second. There is nothing special with the first control, but the second control is something like the following:

space(len(firstText)) & secondText

The problem I have getting this to work is that a 'w' is wider that an 'l', thus 15 characters is not equal to 15 spaces. Any ideas?

6. Gram123

Gram123

Well, some fonts treat all characters as equal length, so a lower case i is the same width as an upper case W.

The only one I have on my system is Lucida Console, but I'm sure there are others.

HTH

Gram

7. Gram123

Gram123

Actually, there are quite a few others available - I've found Courier, Courier New, FixedSys, Letter Gothic, Pica, Elite, Monaco and Andale Mono.

They're alternately called Monospace fonts, Fixed Width fonts, Fixed Pitch fonts, Linear fonts, Modern fonts.

HTH
    Gram

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice