Condensing a file in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CapnYuri

I have an exe file that is 29.4 MB. I want to condense it so I can email it. I followed the XP instructions. I created a zipped folder and dragged my file into it. The folder is just the same size as the uncondensed file. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks. Rick

Right click the unzipped exe file, and select "send to" - compressed (zipped) folder.

Files such as MP3,s and JPG's will not compress but most others should.

CapnYuri

I tried it but no reduction. The file is a slide show with lots of jpgs. Think that's the problem? Rick

CapnYuri

Thanks- but that's not what the XP help says. It says anything put into a zip folder is automatically compressed- and uncompressed when taken out. I'd rather not use winrar because I'm not sure if my recipients have it. Do you know if winzip will compress jpg files?

Despite what Jakbrud suggests, XP does compress just as you state. It works very well.

But if the source is already compressed (.jpg) then naturally no more compression can be done by such a utility, or indeed by Winrar.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online