1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Condensing a file in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CapnYuri, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CapnYuri

CapnYuri Thread Starter

I have an exe file that is 29.4 MB. I want to condense it so I can email it. I followed the XP instructions. I created a zipped folder and dragged my file into it. The folder is just the same size as the uncondensed file. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks. Rick

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Right click the unzipped exe file, and select "send to" - compressed (zipped) folder.

Files such as MP3,s and JPG's will not compress but most others should.

3. CapnYuri

CapnYuri Thread Starter

I tried it but no reduction. The file is a slide show with lots of jpgs. Think that's the problem? Rick

4. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

5. CapnYuri

CapnYuri Thread Starter

Thanks- but that's not what the XP help says. It says anything put into a zip folder is automatically compressed- and uncompressed when taken out. I'd rather not use winrar because I'm not sure if my recipients have it. Do you know if winzip will compress jpg files?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Despite what Jakbrud suggests, XP does compress just as you state. It works very well.

But if the source is already compressed (.jpg) then naturally no more compression can be done by such a utility, or indeed by Winrar.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice