1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

conected to WI-FI but cannot access internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mroldies, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mroldies

mroldies Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 765 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 65188 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0CG566, A00, ..CN1374038I00BO.
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have a Ruckus Wireless modem or router not sure or could be a gateway. I have a friends encryption key and am logged on to it as far as I can see, but then i try to connect to a web site and nothing is coming up. Could you please help me out here.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the model?

Do you mean that you can access the internet on your own wireless network, but cannot when trying to use your friend's? If so, then please show the following two things for your network and then again for your friend's so we can look for any significant differences.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. And show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. mroldies

mroldies Thread Starter

Thank you for your help

The model of the wireless gateway is MM2211-ST by Ruckus Wireless

I dont have a WI-FI adapter on my desktop that is why I am using the gateway if that is what u call it LOL.

I tried the widget you told me to download but wouldn't work due to the WI-FI adapter not being part of my hardware on my desktop.

I can connect to SmartRiverside a free WI-FI for my city, but when I connect to my friends WI-FI I can connect but cannot get any web pages. I am sending you the ipconfig for the good connection and then will reply with the bad connection. Please let me know if you got the attachments.

Attached Files:

4. mroldies

mroldies Thread Starter

Here is the connection that doesn't want to work.

On the home page for the Ruckus Wireless it shows that I have a great signal and that all the ip address and DNS and all that good stuff is true.

This is why I am so confused. If there is anything else you want just let me know

I really appreciate the help

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't have a modem or a router, and you don't have your own internet access. Using the town free access is probably fine, but using someone else's is not. Please review the forum rules, especially

In case it is not clear from the last sentence of that rule, we also will not help you help your friend break his/her ISP's terms of service. Closing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice