1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Conexant USB ADSL external modem problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Axus, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

Upto recently I was using a "Speedstream 3060" internal modem on XP which was giving me problems.
    I purchased a Conexant USB ADSL external modem M/N AMX-CA86U.
    I replaced the Speedstream with the Conexant and after a lot of time and trouble managed to get connected. It ran OK for 4 days.
    Unfortunately my host PC crashed and I had to format and reinstall.
    Now I cannot get the Conexant to work. It connects to ADSL and sends data but I cannot get my Username and Password recognised.
    I have reinstalled my old Speedstream and that worked straight away so I guess it must be something to do with my PC or the Conexant modem.
    I cannot find out how to configure my PC, if that is what is needed and would appreciate your assistance please.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it's a little late, since you've invested in two modems already, but the smart money is on Ethernet connected broadband, USB is problematic in many installations. :(

3. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

Thanks
    Story of my life. Would you explain an Ethernet Broadband connection please and would it be worth changing. I thought I had to have a modem

4. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

I forgot to add.
    I am running two PC's linked with a crossover cable.

5. JohnWill

With Ethernet from the DSL/cable modem, you can use a broadband router and get the benefits of the hardware firewall, NAT translation, DHCP server, as well as very easy configuration.

6. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

Thanks, I will look into that.
    Much appreciated

7. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

Hi again.
    With a router can two PC's access the internet at the same time please

8. JohnWill

Yep, one of the major reasons for getting one! :D

9. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

Thank you sir, you are a gentleman (not many of us left).
    I will give it a try and with a bit of luck it will speed wifes PC and get her off my back (joking)ish

10. miasma

miasma

Does anyone know if there's a linux driver available for the Conexant ADSL USB Modem?
    I can find plenty for 56k drivers but none for this baby although vendors do say that it is Linux compatible. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice