Config error that got worse

BruceAlrighty

Hi there. Long time PC user but this time I'm stumped.
Was running 8.1 and recently did a dual boot with 10. Was working fine for a few days. Then while using the PC, it shut down in about 3 seconds. Attempted to reboot but got a config error. Multiple automated attempts at repairing drive failed. Tried to repair from bootable 10 USB but repair also failed. Then when attempting to boot, the drive would spin for about 10 seconds, shut down and spin again. This continued until I pulled the power cord to get it to stop. Unable to access bios. Tried to reset bios but problem persists. Does the same thing after I switched to a different hard drive as I was checking if it was a hdd failure. Guess not. Any help appreciated.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So to confirm, you have tried 2 different hard drives and have the same result? And you are not able to access the BIOS because it freezes, or there is password?

I would suspect the motherboard and/or power supply at this point.

BruceAlrighty

Almost right. Shuts down before the bios screen pops up. Screens stay blank.
On another note, the interior of my pc is very dusty. Gonna give it a good clean and remove and reseat ram, graphics card and anything else I can. Working tonight and tomorrow night so I'll probably only tackle it on Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks for the input.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
no worries! I would think a heating issue could potentially shutting down the computer before you could do anything.

BruceAlrighty

So after a thorough interior clean up, I got it to start up but windows 10 still wouldn't boot up. Managed to get into 8.1 and formatted the partition for 10 and did a clean install. All seems to be working now. Will report back in a week and change this to solved if it doesn't crash again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online