1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

config_list_failed 0x00000073

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kellymarie05, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kellymarie05

kellymarie05 Thread Starter

Hello, I know this is probably asked plenty of times on this forum, but I have made several searches for the specific problem I am experiencing, and can't find a solution to my exact problem, or can't seem to understand all the computer lingo :confused:.

I have about a 4 month old dell inspiron laptop 1525.
    A few days ago, when booting up the cpu, it went to the dell media direct screen for a second (I didn't understand why, because I didn't press the media direct button, nor did I have a CD in), a second later, it went to the infamous blue screen saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.

CONFIG_LIST_FAILED

Technical Info:
    Stop: 0x00000073 (0x00000001, 0xC0000170, 0x00000001, 0xF6BB5BB8) <- the 5 right there could be a S, I can't read the chicken scratch I wrote down

Beginning dump of phsycial memory. Physical memory dump complete,

* I rebooted my computer a few times, and for some reason, I decided, that if the dell media direct kept coming up, i might as well put in a cd to see if that has any effect. After putting in pink floyd's the wall, the sucked worked like normal.

BUT, two days after the fact, now I am getting the same error screen, and can't do anything. I called dell and talked to one of their reps, and after running a test, he wanted me to reinstall my vista. That to me is a LAST RESORT, due to me being an idiot and not backing up my important files on my computer. Is there anything I can do that will help to save my files, or get my computer back to new without reinstalling my vista? The rep said I could take my computer to best buy or somewhere, and they could remove my harddrive, put it into another computer and extract my important files so i wouldn't loose them, but is there anything I can do?

Sorry so long, but i thought I'd make it thurough so that I could get precise answers.
    Thank you so much to anyone who was willing to read this, and who could help.

Kelly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice