1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

configm

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by coedy29, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

When I first boot up the machine I get an error message configm while initializing device please restart windows, I restart in safe mode, then restart and every thing works fine, I am running windows 98v.2.
    Any ideas to fix this annoying prob.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Configm is a non standard Windows component. You need to locate where it is getting initialized and delete it. Run SysEdit and search for it in System.ini and Win.ini. If it is not there Run RegEdit and search for it.

Good hunting.

3. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I shall try and track him down;)

4. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

Sorry about this but the actual message states: While initializiling device configmg windows protection error, you need to restart computer.
    I have located configmg.vxd in the registry should I delete it.:eek:

5. Dan O

Dan O

I would change the file extension .VXDD to .VXX as a test to make sure you don't need it. Then after a week delete it.

6. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help will try to sort it out.:)

7. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

changed the file association to vxx, came up with a missing dll for my cdrw software, rechanged the name and replaced the software everything is fine except for configmg problem.
    Thanks for the input so far any other sugestions would be appreciated. :)

8. Dan O

Dan O

What brand CDRW and software are you using?

I have 5 different CDRWs and I don't use that driver. Maybe there is alternate driver or update for it.

9. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

LG HL-DT-ST CDRW GCE-6160B.

The software is adaptec ECDC 4.03C_S12
    Direct CD 3.03C_S12

I have tried putting version 5 platinum in but tthe siftware does not recognise my cdr for packet writing.:confused:

10. Dan O

Dan O

Accordance to LG Electronics web site no special drivers are required:

The Windows 95/98/2000 driver is built into the operating system and automatically loads as long as the hard disk controller to which it is connected is operating correctly and the most recent driver is loaded for it. With a Pentium system, you would want to see the following in device manager under hard disk controllers:

-{Brand Name} Dual PCI-IDE Controller
    -Primary IDE controller single or dual FIFO
    -Secondary IDE controller single or dual FIFO

ALSO: You should see a CDROM category listed in device manager in the top of the list of devices or DVD/CDROM. Clicking on the + sign should reflect that the CD-ROM is a Goldstar/LG brand model. If the CD-ROM is listed, WINDOWS has loaded the correct driver.

It's from: http://us.lgservice.com/bin/HPI/HpiHomeMain.exe

I recommend you search and remove any reference to configmg as I suggested in my first reply.

You can contact LG by using this link: http://us.lgservice.com/bin/HPI/HpiHomeMain.exe

11. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

Thanks again, the cdrom is listed, I will look at the rest of the detail tonight, have a great new year.

12. coedy29

coedy29 Thread Starter

Checked out your info, everything is as it should be, shall remove configmg and see

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice