1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configuration error...now no sound.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kymi, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kymi

Kymi Thread Starter

Hello there. I hope I have posted this message in the right area. This morning I fired up my pc to find an error greeting me. It was that windows was missing a configuration file. I rebooted a couple of times then it came back up.

Once it did tho, it went through reloading all my hardware. Everything was fine so I thought. I then realized there was no sound. Xp is showing the Realtek onboard sound card there, indicating under Audio Devices, Properties that "This device is working properly" and "Driver is enabled but has not been started". However, under the main Volume tab it shows "No Audio Device".

I have verified under Services that Windows Audio is started and running (set to 'Automatic'). I have attempted to remove and resintall the device, tried alternate drivers, all to no avail. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to proceed would be so greatly appreciated!

2. Sponsor

3. mobo

mobo

What operating system ?

4. Kymi

Kymi Thread Starter

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to respond to my post.
    (y) My OS Is Xp Home...but found the culprit! Come to find out I was missing a file...Plug and Play Software Enumerator. I don't know if there is anyone else who has had this problem but I am adding the link in case someone might wish to try this.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444

5. mobo

mobo

Glad you have it fixed and might might I add that it seems like a good time to create a system retore point.

6. mha1

mha1

I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mother board with onboard sound, using Windows XP SP2. I lost sound earlier this week, one type at a time (speech went, then midi, then wave) so I uninstalled drivers, rebooted, and reinstalled. Then the system showed no devices available, all is greyed out so I can't even choose a device. I also have that "driver is enabled but has not been started" problem. I then assumed the onboard sound module went bad so got a new (Turtle Beach Montego DDL) sound card. Same exact thing is happening. I found a fix here, the one about the "PnP Software Enumerator", but my system has it in the device manager listing. I am wondering if the files for that are corrupt, even though Windows reports it as working properly? I also saw in the system restore calendar that a Windows Update was done for that .Net Framework 1.1 around the same time that the sound died. Could that be related? Another weird thing, and I have no idea how long this has been there -- device manager and system info report that I have TWO Intel 2.8 Ghz processors (instanceIDs are "0" and "1")! I don't have time to deal with deleting one right now because of the possible reprecussions, unless this may also be related. Weird -- any ideas on why?

Any help would be appreciated. I have spent probably 40+ hours messing with this and am ready to through the computer out the window!

7. mha1

mha1

Well, I did one of the two fixes so far. Since I had the PnP SW Emulator installed already, I did Ven's fix. I now have the drivers loaded! I can get the Turtle Beach Control Panel open and the card is in the Windows Sound setup! I don't get any errors when trying to load a sound file!

BUT: I still don't have sound. I tried another pair of powered speakers, thinking that my speakers may have also gone, but no, the other ones didn't work either.

When I have time this week, I am going to try King's fix, then Ven's again if needed. If I still don't have sound, I don't know what to do next... More later......

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/363811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice