1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configuration in Control Panel, "Network" Protocols and Adapters

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by maxman48, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxman48

maxman48 Thread Starter

My 1 yr old Toshiba notebook connects slowly (sometimes at 9600), & has trouble staying connected to complete even a slower download. I have also had problems getting "locked up" and had to allow the thing to just run down the battery in order to get it unlocked and turned off (not good - I know). I was told to go to the Control Panel, dbl click the Network icon and re-load the TCP/IP protocol. But when I got to this point I found that my system had two TCP/IP protocols listed, as well as two adapters listed. Could my system be getting confused by too many settings on this tab? - you know not knowing which to use, therefore getting bogged down in some way? I am a little fearful of removing something I need. One of the pairs references like this.....TCP/IP->Intel(R) Pro/100+ Mini PCl looking as tho it matches up to an adapter with a similar Intel(R) PRO/100+mini PCl. The other pair that look to go together simply say.... TCP/IP-> dial-up adapter and Dial Up Adapter. Sorry if this is confusing. I'm just trying to list what is sitting on this tab. P.S. On this system I have recently de-fragged and done routine system mtc. to speed it up, but it doesn't seem to help.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Are you using DSL or Cable? An external Modem for either dialup or broadband? The lockups are more than likely RAM generated (the lack of).

The Mini entry could be a external modem adapter, a Network Interface adapter or DSL or Cable modem adapter (usually external on the DSL, cable or other external modems) the other two (TCP/IP-> dial-up adapter and Dial Up Adapter) are standard and would have to be there for the external or internal modem, Ok? So those three entries will not slow you. A internal modem would

At the least:

Enter Dial-up Networking (DUN); Right-click delete your connection there (and all connections but 'Make a new connection'; Restart your computer; Enter DUN; click Make New Connection and follow the on-screen instructions. Or use the wizard to make a new connection in Start; Programs; Accessories; Comunications. You could safely remove all the procols and adapters in the Networking control Panel after deleting your DUN connections; restarting, then start from scratch.

In other words, re-do your connection after deleting the old one and restarting. I'd clean it all up in DUN and the Networking control panel but scan for virus trojan or variant befor creating a new connection. If you remove the Networking protocols and adapters they'll be re-created by Windows when you create a new connection.

Be sure and update your anti-virus before you delete your connection.

The following does not take the place of a good firewall like Free Zone Alarm from http://www.zonelabs.com that 'Stealths' your ports. But it's a lot better than nothing and makes Windows behave as if it had a firewall with settings on medium level.

Read about Windows Network Bondage and Rebinding Windows Internal Network and keeping your private information safe, by accessing and reading thoroughly the Shields Up site at http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm Before starting.

To Close all your ports to hackers, crackers and other knuckleheads here's how:

Enter the Network control panel; Double-click "TCP/IP Dial-Up Adapter" (this works for a DSL or Cable modem's Dial-Up Adapter in Network control panel too); Click the Bindings tab; Uncheck both Client for Microsoft Networks and Microsoft Family Logon, if both are present. Just uncheck one or the other if just one of those is present; Click Ok; Click No, when prompted that, "You have not selected any drivers to bind with. Do you want to?." Click Apply; Click Ok as appropriate to all subsequent screens when prompted. Close all open programs then restart your computer.

This will help close your computer's 65,535 virtual ports in case your computer's firewall is compromised and, create a more robust security for your computer and let you decrease the security settings on your firewall that may be interfering with your ISP's connection to you.

If you haven't got a firewall or don't want one, this will close your ports seamlessly to intrusion without a firewall doing it for you.

Please see the following virus-free attachment for more information

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!