1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configuration on Router Firewall - Painful :(

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lrt2005, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lrt2005

lrt2005 Thread Starter

I've been trying to solve this problem for over 4 months now by myself so any help would be appreciated. I don't like asking without trying to solve and search for this by myself first, but I just can't do it

Setup:
    - Desktop Computer (works fine when directly connected)
    - Laptop Computer (works fine when directly connected)
    - Cable Modem
    - Wireless-G Router (Model CWR-854) - Firewall enabled - All wired connections - No wireless enabled

Problems:
    1) BitTorrent won't work properly. “Checking for firewall...” just keeps going
    2) It won't allow access to internet banking sites completely. Accesses main pages, but times out when trying to log in.
    3) Google Videos and YouTube slower.

Notes:
    When I disable the firewall on the the Wireless-G Router, everything works fine. It's just the settings on my router firewall which is messing things up.

Attempted Solutions:

For 1) Allowed port 6881 for inbound and outbound TCP access on router firewall - didn't work - tried disabling Automatic port mapping (UPnP) - didn't work

For 2) Allowed port 443 (SSL) for outbound TCP - still didn't work

For 3) Haven't tried anything!

2. bmt626

bmt626

try setting up a static ip for the desktop then open port forwarding for those ports to the ip address of your desktop see if that takes care of your problem

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    can you post an image of your firewall rules please.

4. golddust

golddust

I'm no expert in this, but when the router firewall is up are there any other firewalls in use on the computers? We were having some problems similar to yours and when we lowered the computer firewalls and just use the router firewall everything works fine.

5. lrt2005

lrt2005 Thread Starter

I've posted pics of my firewall rules - thanks for ur help so far

Attached Files:

6. lrt2005

lrt2005 Thread Starter

This was how I solved problem 1):

Don't use BitTorrent default client. Use uTorrent – from www.utorrent.com – Install. Open “the” port (check Utorrent -> preferences -> connections) in wireless router through Advanced -> Virtual Servers. Select IP address, the port (private same as public) and have it TCP forward to ....50 (default) It's Port Forwarding (www.portforward.com – see HTML webpage saved – utorrent.htm). Disable UpnP in uTorrent.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/CNET/CWR-854/Utorrent.htm

:)

Only 2 more problems to go!!

7. lrt2005

lrt2005 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm now working on the "Internet banking" Problem

Here are the FACTS:

1) Https:// when you need to log in to a site WORKS when directly connected to the 'net
    2) Https:// when you need to log in to a site DOES NOT WORK when thru the router
    3) Still doesn't work when I disable the firewall completely on router
    4) Can access https:// sites but not ones you need to log in to thru router
    5) In the router logs, TIMEOUT appears next to port 443 when trying to get into a log-in https:// website
    6) I have enabled port 443 outbound TCP in firewall - doesn't work even if I'm a lot more flexible in firewall

My conclusions from the FACTS:

The problem isn't in port configurations

The problem is in a non-firewall router setting -> it is not allowing to establish and/or maintain a https:// connection which requires authentication via a username/password

could be NAT - network address translation - not allowing the encryption through the link between the local IP address and the Gateway and then the Internet. It may be that the gateway is getting in the way........

Any help?

8. lrt2005

lrt2005 Thread Starter

Alright crazy peeps.. I've solved the problem!!

On my router I had an "intrusion detection" option which I had enabled. It is probably useful. However, it had blacklisted my HTTPS:// sites that I visit

So once I disabled that, it was OK!

But before coming to that conclusion, I tried switching off my software firewall as I thought that may have been getting in the way. Still didn't work. So concluded it was another router setting. So HMMF finally!!!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice