1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

configuration problems please help never had this before!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by seanparkes06, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanparkes06

seanparkes06 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Hey whats goin on to whoever reads this. I have a desktop HP pavilion with windows xp got it like in 2003 i believe never had a problem before but i have a laptop now so i hardly get on it, its the family computer really and it just carries the wireless router for internet thats all i worry about really. Anyways the computer was messing up and my mom told me that the screen kept turning red turns out i never really updated the virus software at all and "BLOODHOUND MORPHINE" found its way into the computer along with 30 other spywayre units, so i got new software at best buy not Norton dont worry i know better that Macafee and Norton. Anways the best thing to do really is restore the computer to factory settings...easy right ive done this thousands of times for friends or family to get them up and running in a hurry rather than searching and destroying a virus that hides itself very very well. So i figured no problem i ran the restore on the HP and it gets half way done and says "we need to restart your computer" that is normal so ok go ahead I carry on around the house and then i go back and this i have never seen ...the computer is booting and it stop on the loading windows XP page and a screen says " While trying to restore your computer a configuration problem occured, please contact your computers company and report the problem. Press 'ok' or hold down power key to restart computer "CODE PURPLE" So yea, ive never seen that screen in my life. So i held down power and just figured id boot it up again well sure enough the screen came up again. I had to go to work so i just left it alone and i will get to it tomorrow so tonight im awake and figured i would ask what this message was, now my computer is not under warranty anymore so anytime i call HP they just say you are screwed dude no warranty no help BITE US! They really dont care about customers unless you are giving them money, they want 40 dollars an hour for phone tech support F THAT! Im not stupid with computer im intermidate not pro but i know a fare share just never saw this screen in my life. Should i restart computer and run system recovery again see if that will reset and get the configuration screen to go away maybe it will reset right??? or should i call someone or what i really dont know what to do, because the screen also said your computer will not function properly without the correct configuration??!! any suggestions anyone, really hope someone can shed some light i check my mail constantly so someone drop me a line i hope to get the computer running again tomorrow i have a busy life so its hard to get time to do home projects. THanks again
    later

2. WButchar

WButchar

Hey man! I know what it's like. I'm responsible for the maintenence of several pc's at work and home. Sometimes I'm stumped so I have to text for help here or call a couple people I know who are fairly amazing.

First of all, I'm presuming that your pc's still workable and not cooked in any way. So, at length, here goes:

• For starters, are you trying to run your pc through system restore or doing a fresh re- install? (I'm presuming that you probably have several things on your pc that you wish kept.)

• Do you have the OS disk? or was it installed and HP kept the disk?

• If you have the disk: Do you know anyone who would be willing to plug your HD into their pc temporarily as a slave drive? You may need them to run a virus scan & spyware scan then save your pertinent files onto a disk. Afterwards, they need to wipe out your HD completely: format it.

• Hook it back up into your pc, pop in your OS disk and go into your BIOS on boot: all my pc's use DEL when booting to get into it. Some use F2.

• Set your BIOS to Default: or Optimum or Performance, whatever. Any kind of default. Then before Exiting and saving the settings, set your Boot sequence: CD first, floppy 2nd and the HD next. Now save and exit. (Running the boot sequence CD first should bypass having to go into DOS hopefully. If not, I can't remember the typing sequence off hand. I have to actually do it to remember, but someone should be able to help you with it in case.)

• The rest is the long procedure of reinstalling the OS and every other program you need to. Tedious, but necessary.

If you don't have the OS disk, you may have to try System Restore at earlier settings and you may have to try a couple of them, but first set your BIOS to Default before doing so. (I know Dell uses CTRL + F11 for a complete restore "fresh from the factory", but everthing you've installed and all your files are wiped out. BUT! I don't know about HP. Maybe someone here knows.)

Another option would be to take it in and get it checked out. (I'm planning to take my home pc in for a check up. It's about as old as yours. It's built to my specs, but things break down. Better spending $60 now then $600 later.)

One way or another, I hope your situation gets worked out. All the best man!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!