1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

configuration update in freeze

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by keldeane, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keldeane

keldeane Thread Starter

When I got on my computer this morning..the screen said Configuration updates - Stage 3 of 3 -
    0% completed....

It it stuck there. It does not complete, I've tried restarting, upplugging everything, it just goes right
    back to this same screen.. it then goes to black like it is going to restart...then this same screen
    comes up again.

I have no idea how to unfreeze this or stop this download which is obviously frozen.

any suggestions would be appreciated...going nuts.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Does it say "configuration update" or "configuring updates?"

If the latter, I have seen that happen before, and sometimes you may need to give it several hours before it finishes, depending on how big the update was. I've seen that screen for over 12 hours one time, but after waiting for a couple of days the updates finally finished (yeah, crazy huh).

If it says configuration update, that sounds like it could be something strange going on such as malware.. maybe?

3. sfree

sfree

Windows updated my computer last night (Vista). When I turned it on this morning..the screen said "Configurating updates - Stage 1 of 3 -
    0% completed".... and there it has stayed for 2 hours now. I saw this message and reply, and thought, well maybe this really might take a long time, but this is ridiculous. And I see no other messages on the net about such problems.

The computer had been running fine. The only problem I might have concern about is limited free space (about 6 GB on 50GB disk)

How much time do I give it before I try to stop and start again?

4. sfree

sfree

ok, after 2+ hours I shut it down and restarted. After 2 minutes of black screen, the computer went back to where it left off -- and stayed: "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% complete / Do not turn off your computer" (Computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad, OS: Vista Business)

5. TekTime

TekTime

I would literally give it 12 hours if needed! I recall a computer literally taking more than 12 hours to finish.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!