Configure a home router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bremhillbob

Hi all,

I've just got long range wireless internet. The antenna has a single ethernet cable for me to use.

Normally the provider has DHCP switched on withing the antenna, and this is how it came. When I plugged in my NetgearD6300 the router automatically changed my network numbering from 192.... to 10.... "to avoid conflicts" but it worked well.

I chatted to the provider and he switched off the Antenna DHCP so that I could use my own DHCP withing the router and return to 192....

Clearly my knowledge of ip addressing isn't good enough because I now can't get it to work. Of course I could return to blind trust but I'd rather understand and have greater control over my home network. I contacted several people both informally and professionally but nobody seems to want to help me with this ... I'm hoping that this forum will live up to expectations!

I don't mind paying

dmccoy

Darrin
What is the make and model of your other router? Can you provide screenshots or details of both lan and dhcp configurations of both routers. Also how are the two routers connected via Ethernet or ?

Bremhillbob

My Router is a Netgear D6300. I'm guessing the link doesn't work so will upload a jpeg of the setup page of my router. The png file uploaded is (I think) the configuration page of the antenna as it came .... I've since had DHCP switched off. I have no access to the antenna control - this is under the control of the ISP - I believe that the ip (of the antenna) is 192.168.1.2

Attachments

dmccoy

Darrin
Okay so let me make sure I understand this correctly. You have the one Netgear router and it is connected to a bridge that connects to the long range antenna?

Are the lan settings shown from the bridge or ?

Please provide the lan network settings of the router as well.

Bremhillbob

The antenna has one ethernet lead coming from it. When the Antenna had DHCP switched on I plugged this ethernet lead directly into my router 'internet' socket. My netgear router had been plugged into my slow ADSL do I disabled adsl and rebooted the router. This was when the router automatically changed from being 192 ... to being 10... The internet worked to the router and my internal network was fine - I didn't change wifi so all tablets worked first time ... perfect ....

BUT ... I wanted to set my own numbering back to 192.168 etc ... (I want a couple of static ip addressed items (eg NAS). I thought I could keep the same setup and just disable the DHCP in the Antenna and enable it on my router ... but this failed.

I set my router with a static ip of 192.168.1.1 and made the gateway 192.168.1.2. I didn't know what IP over ATM was, I wasn't sure what to put in for the DNS servers and didn't know about NAT or Mac addressing beyond a very basic understanding. I have heard roumours of XBox not working on this system because of something called double NATing? but don't understand that either

Bremhillbob

There is a PoE box - but I don't think it does anything other then provide power to the antenna and an ethernet socket for me to plug my network into

dmccoy

Darrin
Okay, thanks for the additional details. Please perform the follwing steps. Let me know if this works for you.

1.Disable DHCP and DNS on Antenna
2. Leave DHCP enabled on Router
3. Change Lan IP to 192.168.1.1
4. Change DHCP Starting and Ending IP to something like
192.168.1.25 - 192.168.1.50 or lower or higher depending on how many devices you need connected
5. You can also change your DNS servers to google that are usually faster

Bremhillbob

Thanks for this Darrin, I did as suggested - leaving all the 'Internet Setup' page blank. When I rebooted the router it had returned to 10.... etc

Do I need to tell the router that Internet IP address is 192.168.1.2?, that the gateway is the same. Sunbet mask (presumably) 255.255.255.0 (I've no idea why) but leave IP over ATM NOT enabled?
Do I enable NAT?

dmccoy

Darrin
It sounds like it didnt save your changes. Did you select save and apply after changing?

192.168.1.2?, that the gateway is the same. Sunbet mask
Possibly, but lets get the router configuration right first. Please provide a new screenshot of the LAN config page

Bremhillbob

OK .. tried again and seems better ... I think you're right to say I forgot 'Apply' before rebooting.

Now seems to respond to 192.168.1.1 rather than 10.

Gotta pop out for about an hour but definately feel that this is a step forward

Attachments

dmccoy

Darrin
Okay yes that looks good. Did you test internet? If it still doesn't work then change the settings under Internet setup to static ip as follows

Last edited:

Bremhillbob

When the network was set 'correctly' there was no internet access. So leaving those settings alone I turned to the 'Internet' page and set the static ip, subnet mask and Gateway IP address as suggested above. leaving the IP over ATM alone. I also set the DNS servers to be the google ones. NAT was enabled and Router MAC address left as 'Default'. Rebooted and recieved the error:
Important Update
To avoid a conflict with your Internet Service Provider, your router's IP address has been updated to 10.0.0.1.

SO no luck.

TerryNet

Terry
The antenna has a single ethernet cable for me to use.
Somewhere between that antenna and the ethernet cable is a device that is either a router or something that acts as a modem (translating between the wireless signals the antenna receives/broadcasts and the signals that travel on the ethernet cable.

If that device is a router and you want to daisy chain your other router to it then make sure they are using different LAN subnets.

If that device is a "modem" and your ISP has agreed to assign you a static IP configuration then you need to ask them what the configuration is (that you will assign to your router's WAN).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online