1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configure IDE and SATA hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mitey, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mitey

mitey Thread Starter

I have a HP desktop PC that was factory fitted with a 160GB IDE hard drive. I have now added an internal 750GB SATA hard drive that will be used for data storage, the OS and Programs etc will stay on the IDE hard drive.
    However, sometimes when I try to start the PC I get an error telling me that the 'BOOTMGR' cannot be found. I think the PC is trying to start from the SATA hard drive instead of the IDE one.
    In the set-up (F2) I have set the PC to start from one of the DVD drives first and then the IDE hard drive but it does not appear to respect this, it always goes to the SATA drive.
    How can I configure the PC to boot from DVD and then IDE and completely ignore the SATA hard drive?
    The PC is running Vists Home Premium SP1, fully updated.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

This is only some of the time? There are also settings in the bios for ide vs sata you might want to look at.

3. mitey

mitey Thread Starter

By sometimes I mean that I either get this error or I am asked to boot from CD/DVD and when I put the Vista install disk in and restart and then choose to 'repair' the installed OS it appears to do something but the end result is nothing changes and I still get one of the two errors.
    What should I be looking for in the BIOS?
    Not the boot order as I have tried this, where else should I look?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

There should be a setting where you choose "raid/sata" or sata vs ide etc...but it's different in every bios so without seeing yours that is the most help I can be. It could be the mbr is messed up in which case read this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/841569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice