1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configure network settings?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by iluvtolaff, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iluvtolaff

iluvtolaff Thread Starter

I'm having a lot of trouble watching videos-- they start, stop, start, stop-- always loading it seems. My internet connection is not good and that may be the problem. I'm over a mile from the very edge of the map that shows coverage for Clear.

I went into 'Local Area Connection'>Properties There it shows 'Broadband NetLink Gigabit Ethernet'. I click on 'Properties'> configure, click on 'Advanced' tab and I'm shown a list of things that have 'Value' next to the items. A lot of those things, on the list, show 'enable'--- should I enable any of them or leave them alone?

[​IMG]

2. kanfaar

kanfaar

Hey ILuvToLaff,

You'll likely want to talk w/your ISP to determine which of these settings are best, dependent upon your connection. However, the defaults are usually well-enough.

Aside from that, I would recommend taking regular readings of your connection speed (say, through a service like: dslreports) Gather a history of your connection speeds and, if they don't match with the service promised, contact your ISP to see if there's some issue with your connection. If those speeds are in line with the promised service, then there are still some things that *might* help.

You can try sites that allow for video buffering so that you can pause the video long enough for the video to load. You can, potentially, close any background programs which may be using bandwidth and/or intercepting traffic (like an AV; though this isn't suggested unless you COMPLETELY trust the site(s) being visited).

Hope that helps.

3. iluvtolaff

Hmmm..... I use Avast. Would that interfere?

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Never mind-- disabled Avast and it made no difference. :(

4. kanfaar

kanfaar

Hey ILuvToLaff,

Well, that *is* an Anti-Virus and part of its mission is to intercept traffic in an effort to ensure that no damaging software is introduced as a result of any traffic coming into your computer. As a result, it will *likely* be an interim step prior to you actually being able to view a video. That all depends, of course, on the modules installed; but, I would say.... it will probably cause 'some' interference. This may be noticeable if your bandwidth is already low; but, if you have a powerful processor, it could prove negligible.

BUT... as I stated before: I wouldn't even consider disabling it during your video sessions unless you COMPLETELY trust the video source(s).

Always, always...(can't repeat that enough) re-activate it prior to continuing any random browsing.

5. iluvtolaff

Ok. Thank you! :)

6. kanfaar

kanfaar

Okay, I see now how disabling it made no difference.

About the only reason I mentioned you disabling that is because you mentioned that your connection wasn't all-that-great to begin with. Have you tried running some speed tests? If not, I would definitely give that a shot. These days, given the plenitude of videos out there, people tend to discount the amount of bandwidth that videos use.

For instance, radio bandwidth can use up to 128Kbps, but HD video can use up to 1920x1080 per frame at 60 fps = ~120Mbps uncompressed....plus overhead. They're all compressed these days, so that's just as an example of how video differs from audio. Any actual viewing experience will differ extremely from that example, but it's something to keep in mind when it comes to the differences between video and audio.

7. iluvtolaff

I haven't run the speed test yet. I'll fit that in soon and get back to you. :)

8. kanfaar

kanfaar

It's pretty easy, simply follow the link I offered earlier: http://www.dslreports.com and click on tools (in the blue bar near the top), then "Speed Tests". I usually use "Flash (Adobe) download/upload speed test", it generally doesn't require any updates if you view videos on any regular basis. From there, choose a server, doesn't matter too much which, though I try to select one as far away from me as possible just to ensure reliability. It, then, gives you numbers and viola!! test done....

9. iluvtolaff

Just finished my work and able to make time for the test.

Download speed= 1001 kb/s Upload speed= 133 kb/s Latency= 239 ms

10. kanfaar

kanfaar

Well, that's not horrible. It's not great, either. But, I would think it'd be capable of streaming at least *some* video. How does that compare to your proffered speeds?

Okay, I'll simply ask the questions: What speeds are you supposed to have? Do you only notice this slow-down when streaming, or does it crop up occassionally? Have you tried changing out the cable going to the router? Have you tried, if there's a router between you and the modem, connecting directly to the modem to see if that helps?

At this point, we need to try to determine if there's a problem with your Internet connection, or with your network; so we eliminate certain things in hopes of isolating the issue.

Also, if you could fill us in with anything you might have tried in addition to anything I've mentioned here, that would help.

Hopefully, we'll get it figured out.

11. iluvtolaff

The website just states: No preset download speed cap Upload speeds up to 1.0 Mbps

I don't have a router, only the modem the ISP provided. I haven't tried anything because I don't know what to try.

My only problem is trying to watch a simple video, like on YouTube, as they take forever to load then they play for a couple minutes, then stop while loading further, and so on.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That distance is the top suspect. Clear is a type of wireless service, right? I know you don't want to lug the desktop around, but if you had a friend or colleague with a laptop willing to try it with your modem at your place and again with your modem inside the coverage area I think you would see a big difference.

13. iluvtolaff

I'm sure that's what it is. My sis has Clear and lives one mile straight down the road and her reception is excellent.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you tried different locations in your residence?

15. iluvtolaff

I live in a very small 450 sq. ft. apartment so not sure if it would make much difference. I have put the modem in the far northwest corner (closest to the tower) and it made no change.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice