configure outlook express to resist spam?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

ihave heard that it's possible to configure some email programs to place all received email without my direct email address into a special folder; that way, all the spam that is mass-sent to general addresses would be diverted away from my main box. I could quickly glance through it all at some point on the off chance that something of value actually appears in there(not likely).

I have outlook express but would upgrade to outlook if there was a compelling reason (I'm a private user without any of the demands that would justify such purchase.)

thanks!

In outlook express, go to help>contents and index>scroll down to activating rules and follow the directions.

bj nick

Thanks for your response- any advice on doing this right? I tried to set it up and I can't figure it out. I specified everything I was supposed to, so that any message with the words 'EASY, FAST, MONEY, CASH, OR EARN" would be stuck in a probable spam folder, but it justkeeps coming to my box (I sent myself a couple of tests). Any ideas?

I have never had need to set it up as I dont recieve any spam or unwanted mail. Except for the occasional stupid list someone signs me up for. Did you select all the options and point it to the ones that have already been downloaded? That may be the catch, recieving them once and not again.

bj nick

Ok, I figured it out....all you do is specify any words that might, in the subject line, indicate that it's spam of some kind. Then you check boxes which do various actions, such as deleting it, or copying it, or delete it from the server, whatever. What you do is make "rules" for indicated words, and I set it up so that the messages will get dumped in a "spam" folder, which I can check periodically to make sure there are no legitimate messages in there. The only drag is that apparently you have to enter individual words one at a time. So I made "rules" for words like "credit," "easy," "cash," "mortgage," etc. Now they get dumped in the spam folder and I couldn't be happier...

Thanks for the tip...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online