1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configuring a 250GB Sata Drive As IDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marksammut, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marksammut

Marksammut Thread Starter

Hey guys, i need some help, i am trying to get my 250GB sata drive to work on a MS-7061 board so i can install Windows Xp, ive tried going into the BIOS but have had no luck, i have a IDE Drive connected as well as somebody said you can configure it with an IDE drive installed, any help is appreciated greatly, Mark :confused::confused:

2. Sponsor

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If there are no settings for IDE compatibility for the SATA controller in the BIOS, then its mandatory that you get SATA drivers and pre-install them before XP will install. Any SATA drive will work with XP installed on the IDE controller but doesn't help in configuring another install of XP to run on the SATA drive...that's either in the BIOS (compatibilty) or you supply the SATA drivers.
    Or, what you can also do is get a little SATA to IDE adapter that goes between the drive and 40-pin cable connection and install and use the SATA drive on the IDE connection.

4. pip22

pip22

Another option is to install the motherboard's SATA driver during Windows XP Setup, by pressing F6 when the prompt appears to install a third-party driver. The SATA driver is supplied by the motherboard manufacturer, NOT the hard drive manufacturer. http://uk.msi.com/service/download/

5. Marksammut

Wait wait wait .... Can you brake it down to simple terms o_O sorry im a noob with the IDE thing :L Mark

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Its a driver issue...you can't install XP onto a SATA drive until XP sees the drive but XP can't see the drive until the SATA drivers are installed....so XP has a point early during the install where it says to press F6 if you need to install additional drivers...you need to do that to install the SATA drivers first, and to get those drivers you have to go find them based on your motherboard make and model...generally they are in the chipset driver set although they may be singled out for easier use. Doesn't sound like you are ready for slipstreaming either which is where the SATA drivers are integrated into the XP installation CD (producing a new install disk just for that computer).

You have to do the above if you can't set the SATA controller to IDE compatibility in the BIOS, OR also as an alternative, get an adapter and use the SATA drive on the IDE connection...I do that on a couple of systems I can't find SATA drivers for. Many BIOS settings have a compatibility mode included though.

Easiest method is BIOS setting to IDE compatibility...followed by adapter...followed by find and extract the SATA drivers and load them on a floppy or CD if that will work and install them with F6 early in XP install process...followed by find, extract and slipstream SATA drivers into a new XP install disc install normally with that CD.

7. Marksammut

Ah Thanks Very Much +1 And you think the driver disk for the Motherboard ( MS-7061) With have the sata drivers on? Many thanks, Mark

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yes, the driver disc for the motherboard probably does contain SATA controller drivers for XP.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!