1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configuring a DSL modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CellBlock303, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CellBlock303

CellBlock303 Thread Starter

I just got a DSL line hooked up to my pc, however the modem (a Zyxel Prestige 645M-USP ADSL modem) I have isn't "communicating with the pc". I was told by the guy who installed it that there was a way to "go into it and configure it (the modem)" so that it would work. I know a bit about computers, but I have no idea what the heck he was talking about. He said that he didn't know how to do it either, he just installs them.

Anyways, does anybody know how do to this? I can still go online through the dial up connection, but I'm dying to get this DSL thing working. Btw, I get my DSL/internet through Twin Lakes here in Livingston, TN.

Also I have asked this question here, and they have suggested some things that were to no avail.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Couldn't find that modem. Maybe it's "UHP" instead of "USP"?

Don't pay for DSL until your ISP gets it working or tells you what you need to configure--static IP? PPPoE? MTU? etc.

Do you have a User Guide for that modem. Sometimes they are difficult to impossible to find for ISP supplied modems, so insist on that also.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Terry is right, this seems to be a clear case for letting them fix it before you start paying! Since they supplied the equipment, they should know how to get it working. Surely, they don't expect the customer to finish their installations.

4. CellBlock303

OOPS! Yeah It's UHP, not USP. Sorry, I can't type worth crud.:eek:

Yeah, you would think that they would train their installers to be able to fix those problems. Anyways, I don't have a user manuel for it as I bought it from another party. Prior to purchasing it I did go the phone companies office to make sure what kind they had. The only thing that I didn't think to write down was which of the P-600 series it was. The one I have is P-645, and the guy had brought another one in, as he didn't know I had one, that was a P-660. However, I could have sworn that the one I looked at in thier offices was a P-645. Actually, I looked at two of them. They had one set up in the lobby for a demo, and I looked at another one at their service dept office,which is next door. While they were both Zyxel P-600 series (I don't remember if they were the same model) the lights and plugs were positioned differently.

I think that it is a TCP/IP, at least that's what it says in the LAN properties in Network Connections. I don't know if it will help but here are the DSL setup values:
    IP Address: 207.144.66.178
    Gateway: 207.144.66.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: 206.74.254.2
    Secondary DNS: 204.116.57.2

Thanks again for your help.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    NOT ISP supplied, eh. I doubt that you could have found a much harder modem or modem/router to deal with. :(

If it's a member of the Prestige P-645-A1 Series here is some info. (corrected) http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_download_detail.php?sqno=1320

EDIT: OK, I messed up the above link. Just go to www.ZyXEL.com and find your way around.

If it is instead a member of the P-645 Series, there is a link to that from the above.

Are those setup values a Static IP configuration that you have been assigned?

If your unit is a member of that first series, it appears to be a modem/router combo. Let us know which it is.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After some more reading, I'm pretty sure it's the Prestige P-645-A1 Series. If you agree, download the Quick Start Guide. If that's not enough to get you going, I guess you'll have to download the 2MB User Guide, not pleasant with dial-up.

7. wacor

wacor Banned

Just a suggestion but if this does not settle out pretty quick for you then think about getting the modem from the ISP. I know that buying one of your own saves in the long run but you have to weigh the aggravation when things dont work as you get no support from the ISP when you are not using their modem.

If you get frustrated easy then renting from the ISP is the way to go. if you are one to like challenges and are patient then having your own is another thing.

good luck

8. CellBlock303

BTW, The only thing that it isn't doing is that there isn't any "Activity", that is the ACT light is coming on. All the other lights are doing what, I assume, they are supposed to.

Also, a friend of mine said that it wasn't getting, or didn't have, any PPPoE info. He sent me to some kind of Earthlink diagnostic page, but I can't get a picture of it to show up in the post. Somehow I was able to do it fine in an email, which is where I usually have trouble. Anyways, I don't know if it will help, or work, but Here is the link to where he sent me. And, Here is what came up after he told me to do this:

What you're going to do is disable your dialup, connect your computer
    to your DSL modem. Go to your LAN Connection properties. Click "Internet
    Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click properties. Make sure both check
    boxes are set to obtain address automatically.

Now open a web browser and head to http://192.168.1.1
    user: admin
    pass:1234

You should see a configuration interface for your DSL modem at this
    point.

And unfortunately at this point I'm not going to be much help. I've had
    several ZyXel's over the years but they were all configured via PPPoE.
    Your ISP has you configuring via TCP/IP so I don't know where those
    settings are going to go in terms of exactly which menus you need to go
    into. Furthermore, the menus have probably changed since the last time I
    logged into a ZyXel. I stopped by their website to see if they had a
    picture of what the menu looked like, but they didn't. You will need all
    5 of the numbers you gave me, though. They'll all 5 have to go in
    there. (Technically you don't need the secondary DNS, but they'll surely
    give you a spot for it) Basically what is happening in this case, and this
    is why your tech was confused, is that your DSL modem is going to act
    as if it is a computer and take on those numbers. It will then assign
    addresses to any devices in your house (like your computer) from a little
    server built into the modem. Their system is set up such that their
    modems are just a little pass-through device and really your computer is
    connected directly to their system. The way you're doing it is much more
    standard in the industry it's just that they're not used to it.

And this is the last thing he said after I emailed him the picture of the site so that he could see what came up and perhaps have more of an idea as to how to help:

I didn't see this email originally. What happens if you hit the "fix"
    next to PPPoE (I don't think it will work, personally, but I'm curious
    what errors it will report). It appears for whatever reason that this is
    an "Earthlink Specific" version of this modem, meaning it is designed
    with limited functionality only for Earthlink users. Primarily it seems
    that it will only connect if you give it PPPoE settings (which is the
    standard for DSL anyhow). Maybe your DSL provider can give you those
    settings and then somewhere under your settings tab you can input them and
    it will still work. Every DSL modem I've ever configured for any
    service provider has always been configured via PPPoE, and I find it odd that
    they didn't leave you any PPPoE info.

I couldn't find anyplace to enter any PPPoE info like he said I could, and all the tabs on that site just take you back to the enter user/pass page which then just takes you back to the diagnostic page.
    I don't know if any of this will help, but I thought that I should include it anyway. Sorry it's so long.

9. CellBlock303

In response to your series question, it says "Model Number: Prestige 645M-UHP, ADSL Modem", and this I assume is the serial number: S5B070444 . There is also the number 00134903A7BA .

As far as those IP numbers are concerned, I have no idea if they are static or not. I don't know the difference.

Also, they said at the phone company that the modems have to have a "Alcatel chip" in them to work on their systems. They also give you a partial list of modems that will work. I just assumed (yeah, I know, never assume) that since the one I bought was the same as the one they sell that it would work, or at least have that chip in it. I have no idea how to check if there is one.

10. CellBlock303

I downloaded the quickstart guide from that site, but it wasn't any help as I have already done all the things it said.

11. wacor

wacor Banned

Is it possible the modem is bad?

I am guessing that it was used and not new??

If used then that is one of the issues with regard to getting frustrated as there is no way to verify it worked unless you hook it up to another computer

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's quite possible the modem is bad.

13. natcom

natcom

did you call your ISP ?

14. wacor

wacor Banned

ISP wont deal with private modems. They would not even set it up as I recall

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Were you able to access the modem/router at the default 192.168.1.1? If not,since you bought it used, best to reset it to factory default settings so that you know with what you are dealing. Such reset is done by holding the reset button for 10 seconds or so.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice