Configuring a VLAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

teddytech

Have close to 700 computers on a network but needs a select group of users form two building to access a database from one of the building. Processing time is extremely slow from one of the remote buidling. One of the techs suggested that we create a virtual local area network. How would I go about doing this? There are only 10 users in this group.

Perhaps they were referring to a VPN (Virtual Private Network)?

Before deciding what type of VPN is right for your business, it's best to take stock of your current configuration. So I understand this right, you have 3 "buildings" right? The database is stored in building 1, and users from building 2 and 3 need to get access to this database too, right? What is the bandwidth between the buildings? Do the three network segments (one per building I presume) connect directly to each other, or rather, do they all connect directly to the Internet? Or do they not connect to anything at all?

VLANs would be a good way of logically separating networks. Their membership is usually dependant on switch port connection. Depends on how your network is built.

What manufacturer and model switches do you have?

With correctly designed VLANs and the appropriate infrastructure, it is possible to separate a group of ten users from 700, and give them a disproportionately higher connection speed.

VPNs or tunnels will separate networks at layer 3, but because of the overhead involved, they are really better suited to WANs than LANs.

Well, first, let's get this fella some information that's semi-useful. See this UC Davis link (archived many years ago as the concept of VLAN's has become outdated with current hardware):

http://net21.ucdavis.edu/newvlan.htm#what

I think before we go debating performance of VLAN's or VPN's it's best to know what type of connectivity is between the buildings. I've encountered many environments (typically school systems) like this before. They don't always have 10+mbit leased lines between buildings...and security should be a major concern.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online