1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

configuring a wired network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bradpark22, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradpark22

bradpark22 Thread Starter

Hi, I set up connection to 2 of my pc's through a wired connection to my router. How do I set up the PC portion of it so I have a network? Both pc's are using windows 10 pro. I havent done this since windows 98 so its been a while. Any positive help is appreciated.

thx

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have two (or more) devices connected to the same router they are already on the same network.

With Windows 10 then you can try to use a Homegroup or you can enable file and printer sharing. I think that enabling file and printer sharing is similar to the following (I can check later if this doesn't work) ...

Short description for Windows 7 and 8/8.1 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private' (or 'Home' or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Private or Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice