1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configuring Dialin connectivity using a modem on router aux port

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sabirpoonoor, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabirpoonoor

sabirpoonoor Thread Starter

I have a cisco 1941 ISR router and I am trying to configure a router to allow a modem for “Offband or Out of band” access.

Below is the configuration on Aux port on Line (n):

line aux 0
    login local
    modem InOut
    transport input all
    speed 115200
    flowcontrol hardware

I have US Robotics 56k Faxmodem which is connected to aux port of router and I am using USB dialup modem with my laptop to dailin to the router which is connected to a US Robotics Faxmodem. Then I have accessed my USB dialup modem throught HyperTerminal and I can issue all “at” commands and to dialin to the modem I have used the following command
    atdt914011111111 (atdt followed by country code, area code and landline number)

Once I issue the above command it give me message “Connected” and after this I just get a flashing cursor. I cannot do anything nor will it display a username login prompt.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Sorry. Can't provide any help here on using the Aux port of the ISR. I know it can be done as I've heard others have done it. On deployments I've done, we used a Raritan console server which has a built in modem for POTS line OOB connectivity. The nice thing is the Raritans are simple to configure and have a proven track record. In addition, you can get various models that support multiple devices from serial/console type access to KVM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!