1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Configuring DNS Servers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by plipz, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plipz

plipz Thread Starter

Hi I was wondering if you guys can help me with configuring my DNS server. I downloaded a program called Namebench which tests your internet to determine which DNS servers might speed up quering of your webpages. Now I got the results that Google's DNS and my local ISP DNS can speed up the net connection.

Here is my setup: I got a computer connected to my DLink DGL-4500 router. That same router is connected to my Aztech DSL605E modem. My modem assigns a static IP address on my router then my router assigns dynamic IPs to the computers connected to it. You can manually configure DNS servers on the PC, router and modem. My PC is set to automatically get the DNS servers, and when I check it, my DNS server is my router's IP address. My question is that where do I manually configure DNS servers that I can benefit from Namebench's results? The modem or router or PC?

Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

In your network IP setting for whatever connection you are using, be it wireless or a wired connection.

3. plipz

plipz Thread Starter

On the PC you mean? Will that bypass the modem and router settings?

4. Rockn

Rockn

If it is set as static on the PC it will override what is on the router. If you don't want to worry about it on your PC set it up on your router and let DHCP take care of it.

5. plipz

plipz Thread Starter

Will that overide that of the modem then? I have some pics that might help you help me overcome my confusion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice