Configuring DNS Servers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plipz

Hi I was wondering if you guys can help me with configuring my DNS server. I downloaded a program called Namebench which tests your internet to determine which DNS servers might speed up quering of your webpages. Now I got the results that Google's DNS and my local ISP DNS can speed up the net connection.

Here is my setup: I got a computer connected to my DLink DGL-4500 router. That same router is connected to my Aztech DSL605E modem. My modem assigns a static IP address on my router then my router assigns dynamic IPs to the computers connected to it. You can manually configure DNS servers on the PC, router and modem. My PC is set to automatically get the DNS servers, and when I check it, my DNS server is my router's IP address. My question is that where do I manually configure DNS servers that I can benefit from Namebench's results? The modem or router or PC?

Thanks!

In your network IP setting for whatever connection you are using, be it wireless or a wired connection.

plipz

On the PC you mean? Will that bypass the modem and router settings?

If it is set as static on the PC it will override what is on the router. If you don't want to worry about it on your PC set it up on your router and let DHCP take care of it.

plipz

Will that overide that of the modem then? I have some pics that might help you help me overcome my confusion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online