1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

configuring OfficeConnect ADSL wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KAT15, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KAT15

KAT15 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I recently switched my phone deal to one which included phone AND broadband rather than just phone. They had to send me a new username and password for my router which is an OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54 Mbps 11g firewall router. They also sent me a simple modem. In orer to connect through the router, I have to go to their webpage and type in a username and password, but on putting them in it doesn't work: I get to the 'configure' page and it won't let me past, as the next page says "Internet Explorer Cannot display this webpage."

I've tried my provider who insist the password is right, and it must be as I am currently connected to the internet via the modem they sent which requires the same new password. I just can't get passed configuring the router, which used to work perfectly. I have checked with my provider who says I am a PPPoE and VC-MUX and these are the only other settings I have to decide. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. With 2 kids in the house, we are finding it a struggle only having one computer which can connect to the internet.

Thanks so much for any help at all,

Kat

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Were you using this router before? If so, I'd insist that the ISP help you get connected or provide a router that will connect.

3. KAT15

KAT15 Thread Starter

Yes I was using the router before. It's just bizzare that the password works on the modem but not the router. I will call them again tomorrow, but I can just see them sending me another password which just doesn't work on the router. That's my worry

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The router only passes through the signal so if it worked before I don't understand why it doesn't work now. The pppoe is for modem to bring in the signal, why would the router ask for a password at all? The router should be set for auto it is my understanding.

5. KAT15

KAT15 Thread Starter

I'm not sure it is the router asking for a password to get to the internet, perhaps it is just to access this new deal I have. When I plug the router in, it doesn't connect automatically, and so I have to type my isp address into the browser where I get a 'setup wizard' . Its then I have to type in the username and password for the new combined phone and internet, having confirmed the PPPoE and VC-MUX before

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK that is what you should not be doing...no password is necessary and no PPPoe should apply with router. Maybe you need to reset the router. They usually have a reset button or hole in the back you access with a pen and hold in about 15-30 seconds.

7. KAT15

KAT15 Thread Starter

Hi Rich,

I tried resetting and it didn't work. I took it to a computer friend of mine who (didn't tell me how he did it but) changed some settings on the router so that there should really be no problems.

However, now when I connect it, in Network connections it says that the 1394 connection is connected and then Local Area Connection are both connected, but a new thing has appeared called an "internet gateway." It's a category, like "incoming" or "LAN or High-speed internet." My connection to the internet only works when this internet gateway connection is connected, but this is for a few seconds at a time, and then it spends about an hour just saying "connecting" followed by "disconnected" and then "connecting again."

This may be a different problem to my other one, so maybe I should repost it? I'm just wondering what this 'internet gateway' thing is and why, if I am connected to the 1394 and the local Area Connection, I can't access the internet unless the "internet gateway" is connected. I'm pretty sure that all the info on my router is right and the PPPoA/E stuff isn't the problem anymore. My friend changed it so now there's a password for our connection which I have never had to put onto my PC, so perhaps this could be part of the problem?

thanks so much for your help so far,

Kat

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

If the pc accesses the internet without the interruptions of service and connected to the router there are constant disconnects, I would say the router is defective.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you connect using the ISP's modem you have to use your computer to specify username, password, etc., right?

When using your modem/router those same parameters should be specified in the WAN (Internet) section of the router. Then the router will establish the connection to your ISP even if no computers are connected and active. You probably should reset the router to factory default settings and start fresh so that you don't have to worry about undoing any previous settings.

Your connection to the router, whether by ethernet or wireless, should be a simple dynamic connection--no username, password, PPPoE, etc.

The 1394 is also called "firewire" and is used for cameras, camcorders, etc. For some strange reason it always says 'connected.' Ignore it.

The Internet Gateway can also be ignored, I think. I have one on my desktop sometimes, other times not. I read recently that it has something to do with PnP on the router.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!