Configuring this Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SoulDe

Hi guys, this is my first post, ok i have in my house a little home network, but i can't share files. I have tried to configure all this pc's with the wizard of Windows XP, but isn't not work. All PC's has the same Group, in no one pc i can't see the resources of the others PC in the network, please help me, I need share files.

I have designed a diagram with specifications in Microsoft Visio: Check the Attached files.

Someone with experience in network to configure it without the wizard of Windows "Set up a home or small office network"???'.

Any suggestion is good.

Email
(y)

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
My guess would be firewalls, but here's a set of basic config tips. I'm confused about your diagram having the broadband modem connected to a hub/switch and servicing multiple machines, can you be specific about the model number of that "device"? I'd use a broadband router and lose the USB connection if it were my network.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

SoulDe

Thanks, JohnWill, i have a question.

My modem is: Motorola SB5100

Do you think if i need a router instead of a simple Switch/Hub?. All the PC's has internet, but they can't share files, perhaps they don't are into the same subnet.

:D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you have an ISP that gives you multiple IP addresses, then you would have the situation you describe. A broadband router in front of ALL of the computers should solve the file/printer sharing issues, give you more protection, and allow you to get an account with only one public IP address, normally cheaper.

SoulDe

Thanks JohnWill, i'll going buy a router, perhaps linksys WRT54G.

Couriant

James
just an FYI, if you use the wizard, then I'm sure that the IP address will be reset to the default class C address 192.168.0.x unless the ip addresses you have are purchased?

Generally if you use a router, the IP addresses will default to whatever the router is set to use for DHCP. It may be 192.168.0.x but I couldn't be sure without knowing which router you got.

SoulDe

My ISP assign to me one random IP to access to internet for each pc. With that configuration, i can't set up another pc with internet. The next week i'll going to buy a router, thus i'll pay just for one IP in my ISP.

(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online