"Confirm Stream Loss" ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theolady

While copying some files to a floppy, a window pops up:

It says:

Confirm Stream Loss

The file 'Thumbs' has extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Information that might be lost includes:

:encryptable:$DATA

Do you want to proceed anyway?

~~~~~~~~~~

I have no idea what Thumbs is or what I should do. I didn't proceed. Came here to find out what it is.

Thanks!

theolady

Windows XP
Word 2002

theolady

I've never made or downloaded a Thumbs file. I did a search for a Thumbs file and got nothing. That's why I don't get it.

The window pop up occured during more than one folder that I was copying to a floppy. The folders contained Word documents that I had made.

The file or folder that you are copying has multiple data streams involved. Copying from a NTFS partition to a FAT partition can give you this error. If you currently have this file/folder encryted, unencrypt it prior to copying to the floppy and see if this helps. If you use eTrust antivirus or innoculateIt AV, let me know, as there is specific information regarding this error if running version 6.0.

theolady

Don't have eTrust antivirus or innoculateIt AV. Have Norton 2003.

Not pc savvy, so don't know exactly what you mean by encrypting or NTFS partition. Will have to read some to comprehend what you're saying.

Do I need to be concerned about the part of the message that says "Information that might be lost includes: encryptable:$DATA"?

Will be back when I know enough to ask more, LOL. Thank you.

Is that file named thumbs.db by any chance? That's the thumbnail data base for using thumbnail view in a folder. If you delete it, it is recreated the next time you choose thumbnail view.

theolady

Mosaic1

Thanks for your response. There isn't a file ext in the pop up window.

The folders that I copied to floppy all have Thumbnails checked in the View. Is this the cause? Each time the window popped up I clicked on cancel so as not to chance losing anything.

theolady,

You're welcome.
Probably. If you go to Control Panel>Folder Options >View

You will see this listed:

Hide Extensions for known file types.

If that is checked, uncheck it. It is a security question. Often a virus will have a double extension. This way you can spot it right away.

If you ever see something like whatever.exe.jpg for example. Do not open it. Scan for viruses

theolady

I did as you said in the Control Panel and copied the folders to floppy again. This time when the window came up it did indeed say 'Thumbs.db'.

Even though I click on cancel in the part that asks if I want to proceed I do get all my files in the folder copied correctly. So is it okay to ignore it when it occurs?

Thanks again,

theolady

Yes. It is merely a data base for the thumbnails in the folder. It helps the folder to load faster when using thumbnail view. You can delete it before transferring to floppy. When you open the folder in XP again, a new db file will be created.

I, too, receive the error message ":encryptable:$DATA" every time I try to back up a folder to a RW CD.

As I backup this particular folder once or twice daily -- and it is huge -- I can never do it in one fell swoop... I have to come back to the computer to click "ok" or "cancel." Annoying to say the least.

Is there some way I can turn this off so that I can make an uninterrupted copy of the folder to a RW CD?

A search for this error message on Microsoft's page directed me to you.

Sure would appreciate the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online