1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Conflicting Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by LizM, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LizM

LizM Thread Starter

I've been using a certain anti-virus program and a certain anti-spyware program for the last year. I'm not sure if it's ok to say what their names are, they are not free programs.
    Anyway, I renewed both of them, and the anti-spyware software was installed just fine. While installing the anti-virus software, a message pops up saying that the spyware program I have installed is a 'conflicting program' and it needs to be removed so the anti-virus program can be installed. Why is this? These two programs have worked fine with each other the last year that I've had them. I have contacted their customer support which I'm still waiting a response from.

Any help is appreciated. I am running WinXP. Thank you.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It would actually help us to known the names of the programs you are using.

The problem can arise from each of the programs trying to resolve or protect the same things.

3. LizM

LizM Thread Starter

I'm using Trend Micro's PC-cillin anti-virus software and Webroot Spyware Sweeper.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't know much about this conflict, but its common for detection/removal issues to occur when running multiple resident ant-spyware/virus software where two or more apps try to resolve the same issue.

5. LizM

LizM Thread Starter

I allowed PC-Cillin to go ahead and remove Spyware Sweeper. PC-Cillin was then installed, and after that I was able to reinstall Spyware Sweeper. The 2007 version of PC-Cillin is highly sensitive to a lot of the software that I have. It even warned me about my ISP. I'll just go into the settings and make the necessary changes in there so I won't be alerted for every single little thing.

Thank you for your help. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice