1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Conflicts between USB & IDE?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jungzimm, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jungzimm

jungzimm Thread Starter

Everything was working great until… Installed a USB2 card and an Epson Stylus Photo 825 printer with a built in card reader. Now my Nero software crashes to a BSOD with a “Windows Protection Error—Computer has been halted.” This happens during any lengthy simulation or burn attempt with various media and various burn speeds. Drive works fine with Ulead Picture Show. After much trial and error and many re-installs of everything I could think of, I finally tried removing the USB ports in the Device Manager and then everything works fine. Then they re-install after a re-boot and the problems come back. Tried other CD software (BurnAtOne, Burn4Free, and DeepBurner) and none of them would even find my CD Drives despite the drives showing up in the Device Manager and in Explorer. Tried ForceASPI 4.6. Previous Printer ran off the parallel port. The card reader on the printer shows up as an extra drive in Explorer and in Device Manager. The only thing I can figure is that it’s some kind of conflict between the USB and the CD drives even thought the CD drives are both IDE. Any suggestions are most welcome—this thing has cost me about 3hrs a night for the last 4-5 nights.

Configuration:

Windows ME (ugh)

ASUS Mobo

AMD Athalon 1.112 g

3D Force B32 Video Card

VIA Sound on the MOBO

40 gig IDE internal hard drive Primary Master

IDE internal CDWRITER 5224 s027 Secondary Master

IDE internal SAMSUNG 308B CDRW/DVD Secondary Slave

Belkin USB2 pci card with 4 ports.

Motherboard has two USB1 ports-one used by a Scanner

Epson Stylus Photo 825 on the USB2 port. (Drivers updated)

PS2 mouse

Only apps running during all of above: Systray & Explorer. Used msconfig-startup to disable any other non-essential processes.

2. zeddy

zeddy

Youve installed the USB 2 drivers.

What happens when you connect the printer to the usb 1.1 port?

Whats showing up in device manager, are there any conflicts on the IRQs? If so it might be helpful to go into the bios, check that USB is enabled and set the IRQs manually - or let the bios set them rather than selecting the OS pnp option.

3. jungzimm

jungzimm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's some additional info.

Here's a copy of irq's. Device manager shows no conflicts but does seem to show multiple installs of USB 1.1. Any suggestions you might have about manual IRQ assignements are welcome.

System Information report written at: 09/08/2004 10:53:51 AM
    LocalMachine[IRQs]

Resource Device Status
    IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
    IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering OK
    IRQ 11 3DForce B-32Plus/B-32TV OK
    IRQ 11 Generic PCI Modem Enumerator OK
    IRQ 9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering OK
    IRQ 9 NEC USB Open Host Controller (E13+) OK
    IRQ 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering OK
    IRQ 10 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) OK
    IRQ 10 NEC USB Open Host Controller (E13+) OK
    IRQ 5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering OK
    IRQ 5 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 5 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 5 Belkin USB 2.0 High Speed Host Controller OK
    IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
    IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK
    IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 7 Printer Port (LPT1) OK

4. zeddy

zeddy

Try the bios suggestions, having multiple usb1.1 is OK. Check how much bandwidth you are using on the USB ports, the scanner will hog about 50%.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You might also want to install the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers for the motherboard's chipset.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=403

And although it should not be a problem you may want to try another PCI slot for the USB 2.0 card.

There should have also been a USB2.0 patch with the Belkin card on a CD that should be run.

6. jungzimm

jungzimm Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. I have to go out of town for a couple days and so it might be while before I get to try them all. Will be back with update, hopefully soon.
    Again, thank you. I've just found this form and have never had this quality of support and response from other forums or newsgroups.

John

7. jungzimm

jungzimm Thread Starter

I flashed the bios going from vdc45 to vdc49 and installed most recent VIA 4 in 1 package, removed everything USB (devices, hubs & controllers) in device manager while in safe mode and unplugged all the USB cables, and rebooted. Everything got recognized as and as I plugged printer, scanner, camera, and pda back in it all got recognized and re-installed. I was able to successfully burn a couple of data cd's with large numbers of files and all seems well for the present. Thank you one and all for your clear, targeted suggestions and patience. I'll be checking back here often; as I learned more about my system here in a week than I have in the past 3 yrs with it.

John Jung-Zimmerman

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice