1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

confused: 160Gb WD passport hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a12b3c, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. a12b3c

a12b3c Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have just bought a WD hard drive and I am really confused. It is 160GB however, when i looked at the installation guide, it mentions something about FAT32 and NTFS can affect the maximum storage level......This is what it says exactly:

I have to admit that I am no good at computers and I did not understand what the above meant. What I am confused about is whether it is a good idea to convert the file system from FAT32 to NTFS? Will it affect the running of my computer? And if I keep the WD drive as FAT32, how much memory will it have out of the 160 GB?

Many thanks.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Basically, it is up to you. The external will run fine formatted as FAT32, but you will have a file size limitation for each file of 4gb. If you are saving large files then you should reformat to NTFS. You will have the same amount of storage space on the drive whether it's formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. The actual storage space on the drive will be roughly 7% less than the advertised size.

If you are going to partition the drive with FAT32, each partition cannot exceed 32GB. If you partition with NTFS the partitions can be whatever size you choose or you can just have a single partition.

3. stantley

stantley

4. a12b3c

a12b3c Thread Starter

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a partition? And to make sure, if i keep it as FAT32, i will still be able to store files up to 160 GB?

Thanks.

5. a12b3c

a12b3c Thread Starter

Sorry :( , i am asking so many questions but i just want to make sure if i change it to NTFS, would everything (OS and the hard drive) operate the same?

6. stantley

stantley

For most users the easiest way to go is to make one partition for the whole drive.

Everything will work OK with the change to NTFS.

7. AWAIS GHOURI

AWAIS GHOURI

HI guys,

i have just bought a wd external passport size hard drive of 80 gb

worked one week perfectly, i have moved almost 1 tera byte without any problem

but now when i conects to the computer and copy more than 2 gb or higher file

it completely stucks the windows untill i unplug the power of my pc and restart it

and it happends 10 times on three different systems

would you please tell me what i need to do now??????

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You moved a terabyte to an 80gig drive? That's a neat trick!

9. AWAIS GHOURI

AWAIS GHOURI

i was not expecting such a sense less answer from this forum

and i dont know why i joined this forum

dear,

i have said that in one week i have moved almost 1 tera byte, (in one week means different times) some day full drive some day 40 gb and some day 60 gb

thats how i used total 1 tera byte

you :( :( :( :( :(

10. AWAIS GHOURI

AWAIS GHOURI

now may i have the experts opinion ????

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know what, you jump on here in the middle of someone else's post and rudely ask for an answer, totally disregarding there is another poster, and then you insult one of the most knowledgeable Moderators here, who actually asks a legitimate question any of us would have asked. I suggest you go out and come back, and while you do that learn some manners and make a new post so as not to detract from the original poster here and ask your question in a thread that you start for yourself.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Start here as to what a partition is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(computing)
    You have no need to make multiple partitions in average use of a hard drive if you read email, browse for information and write letters etc...it depends on your computer usage but for the average user, they leave drives as 1 partition.
    As to formatting, XP is really based in Ntfs file format which provides smoother running OS with less corruption or driver issues. If your basic system is set up on Ntfs, which you can tell by right clicking my Computer and reading the information that comes up under Properties, then the external drive will run better in Ntfs also because XP in Ntfs file system has a tendancy to continually want to check the consistency of a drive running Fat32 attached to it's system and that can slow your bootup.
    See here for full explanation:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx
    Oh and the best way to format is to right click My Computer, choose "Manage" and then "Disk Management" and format and partition in that Windows utility.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!