1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Confused about Compaq Recovery Tools CD/Compaq System Recovery.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yvsa, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yvsa

Yvsa Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP SP3 with everything up to date as far as I know. I have the complete set of my PC's OEM Disks that I've used once when my OS was completely messed up, had Geeks Rescue out and they couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I know what they are for.

What I'm not understanding are the several tools I'm afraid to open listed in my "Start"/"All Programs" I have both "Compaq"/"Compaq Presario PC Tools" with "Compaq Application Recovery"/"Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator"/"Compaq Recovery Tools CD"/"Compaq Support Information"/"Compaq System Recovery"/"Remote Assistance"/"Safety and Comfort Guide"

Then below that entry there's another that says, "PC Recovery Tools" that has the "Compaq Application Recovery"/"Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator"/"Compaq Recovery Tools CD"/ and /"Compaq System Recovery" which I'm assuming are the same as the same four listed above.
    I know what the "Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator" is supposed to do but like so many other folks I've read about I couldn't get mine to burn all of the disks successfully so I got them from HP/Compaq after a lot of run around and misery. :mad:

My problem is that I inadvertently uninstalled my Omnipass program file a while back and perhaps a couple of other needed files and drivers but I'm not for sure. :eek: :( I would like to get them back without running the full OS system restore disks if at all possible and I'm wondering if it may be possible with any of the tools above? :confused:

2. fairiebrite

fairiebrite

I have the same programs only their HP and not Compaq. With my HP Application Recovery program, you can select "Application" or "Drivers" and it will reinstall selected programs/drivers. If Omnipass came on your PC initially, it should be within the list of programs to recover. You just select the one program you need reinstalled.

Hope this helps!:p

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

That program might be reinstallable using the PC Application Recovery item--that's the way you reinstall the programs that came preinstalled on this type of computer when it was new to the first owner.

You might not even need to use the Application Recovery CD to get the program reinstalled.

[edit]OK, I was a minute too slow Replying----

4. Yvsa

Yvsa Thread Starter

Thanks but the Application Recovery program doesn't have what I need, tried it after I read the replies a little earlier today. :(

I'm wondering if the "Compaq System Recovery" might be what the one I need except I don't have one. If I click on the "Compaq System Recovery" there should be a popup or notice before my PC does anything shouldn't there be?
    I'm just leery about opening anything that I don't know what is for or is going to do. :eek: :)

5. fairiebrite

fairiebrite

You should not be afraid to run any of these programs. There will be a pop up asking if you want to continue. On my HP System Recovery (pretty much the same thing) it basically says that Microsoft has a built in system restore feature and to try that before proceeding.
    With the CD/DVD creator, I had problems too. It kept telling me I had the wrong DVD inserted and that I needed a DVD+R. I was trying it with a DVD-R, so I bought a set of DVD+R's and it worked fine. That might work for you, but I don't know what your problem with the dvd creator tool was.

Ok, as far as "is this the tool I need" question...it depends on what your problem is and what you want done. The Compaq system recovery is like a recovery partition on your hard drive. It won't delete your documents (pictures, music, etc) but it will re-install all the system files to the manufacturer settings. I have done this before and it left all the program files, but the programs will not work because the registry will not have the entries for those programs anymore. You will have to re-update everything and re-install your programs but all your personal files will still be there.

6. Yvsa

Yvsa Thread Starter

Thanks fairiebrite, that's the information I was looking for.:cool: :D Do I have to create a CD Recovery Disk from the program or will it let me repair from the file in place? :confused:

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You should be able to create the set of disks or one DVD.....but, you should not need to just to do a Recovery unless you wanted to use the set of disks you created and that looks to be out of the question for you , right now anyway.

It may be, that the failed attempt to create the set or DVD, counted as the one set you are allowed to make...I have read that this "counter" can be reset, and it may pay you to contact tech support at Compaq to ask about it. Explain that you were not allowed to create any, even though you purchased a set of disks from them, in order to restore your computer.

I would make sure that the Omnipass program did come preinstalled, or the Compaq Recovery, whichever type you select to do, is not going to replace Omnipass.

Edited: Ominipass does come preinstalled on some machines> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07149&dlc=en&lang=en

However, there are different kinds of Omnipass software.

Was yours for passwords or for a fingerprint reader?

http://www.softexinc.com/product.asp?product=omnipass3

Going to Compaq (HP) support area for your exact model computer, should tell you what originally came with the computer....doesn't sound like Omnipass did, or it should have shown in the list of recoverable programs.

Go here, put in the exact model number information, (found on the bottom of a notebook type, or on rear of a tower type)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/findModel?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&

Look under Parts Information....it may be in another category, but there will be a list of the preinstalled programs that you got with the computer, and there should be info about the Omnipass feature, if that came with the computer.

When you run Compaq Recovery> make sure you do not select to perform a Full (Destructive) Recovery since that type will erase all information, including your files, docs, etc and put things back to factory condition.

As was posted> there is the NON-destructive System Recovery, make sure if prompted, you select that one.

Have a look> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=bph07145

Note that the info there, is for both HPs and Compaqs....read down through it.

For the type of computer you have, that did not orignally come with Recovery CDs/DVD, and you have the program to create these.....the Recovery partition is present, and if working, you can do what you need to do from that, not your set of CDs! The CDs will do the destructive type of Recovery.

You can usually also, start the System Recovery process from within Windows, either type....so again, be careful to pick the System Recovery (NON-destructive) item.

Recovery can also be run during bootup.

After the Recovery> you need to do what it says under this link: Things To Do After Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .

I first would find out about Omnipass, since the Recovery will not put it back for you unless it came with the computer.

Won't Compaq answer questions for you, even if a warranty is expired, usually they will give you some assistance, have you tried?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!