Confused about RAW files and editing . . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

omdown

I've read that shooting in RAW mode is the prefered method for getting the most out of your picture taking. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to edit or open a file in RAW mode without first converting it to a TIF file. According to a book I have, Adobe has a plugin for reading and editing RAW files, however my camera type (Fujifilm FinePix S5200) is not supported by this program. I've heard that editing in RAW mode is better than in TIF (more control and whatnot) so is there any way I can configure Photoshop to work with my FinePix's raw images?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. :)

It is my understanding that Adobe raw converter 3.3 works for Fuji. You should be able to get it from adobe.com free.

The advantage of working with raw files is that things like sharpening, white balance, contrast and saturation can be set in the software just as if you were setting it in the camera. So you need be concerned only with focus, exposure and content when shooting.

omdown

buck52 said:
It looks to me like the camera is new enough that it has not been included.
What version of Photoshop? I don't believe the newer raw convertor updates work with anything but CS2

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

buck
Yeah that's what I said in the original post, that it didn't support my camera's type, I figured maybe someone else could tell me if there was anything else I could do (different programs, etc)

buck52

Banned
omdown said:
Yeah that's what I said in the original post, that it didn't support my camera's type, I figured maybe someone else could tell me if there was anything else I could do (different programs, etc)
Sorry for trying to be helpful snappy one... :rolleyes: you never did say what version of PS you use...

Have a look for yourself for the Fuji EX...not LE... raw convertor... It beats the PS one hands down... I have it for use with my Fuji S2 and it works great...

buck

There are free image viewers that can open the RAW format without converting first. Check out (among others):
IrfanView and Microsoft's RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP.

IrfanView also allows you to then save in other formats, including back into RAW of other pixel data patterns types (since there really isn't a 'standard' yet).

buck52

Banned
Howdy ChuckE

Neither of them allow the ".raw" editing of them before converting to another format which defeats the purpose of shooting in raw

buck

If you want to work in CS2 you should try the Adobe 3.3 beta download I recommended. I know for sure it supports the Fuji S9000, which was announced the same date as the 5200. They are evidently adding cameras to the beta until they get a full release but aren’t adding them to the overview in the interim.

omdown

buck52 said:
Sorry for trying to be helpful snappy one... :rolleyes: you never did say what version of PS you use...

Have a look for yourself for the Fuji EX...not LE... raw convertor... It beats the PS one hands down... I have it for use with my Fuji S2 and it works great...

buck
lol Sorry, I didn't mean to come across snappy, I was just mentioning. My apologize :p

Anyway, for some reason I can't get EX to install because LE has to be installed and for some reason the installer on my CD doesn't seem to work right (Setup Wizard opens, says that it's installing (without any prompts as to where or anything), gets all the way to 100%, then closes without any messages about set up being complete or anything, and when I go and run EX it gives me the following error:

You cannot update because the software to be updated is not installed. Install Hyper-Utilitiy Software from an original CD and start Updater again.
Any suggestions?

buck52

Banned
Where did you get EX from?

do you have the original version of EX 1.0

As far as I know Ex won't install over LE only previous versions of EX

I gather you don't have CS2... seeings how you have not said and have been asked multiple times what version you are using...

I assume slipe has a 9000 seeings how it's not listed on the Adobe site and not talked about in their forums...

buck

omdown

I have Adobe Photoshop CS v8.0, however according to Adobe's site, my camera is not supported with version CS2 either.

I don't have the original version of EX, my CD only comes with LE (and I can't seem to get that to work on top of that), do you know where I can get a copy of EX? I've googled it but I can't seem to find it available.

buck52

Banned
V8/CS will not support your camera ever... You will need CS2....I think it's terrible scam... CS2 may add your camera to the Beta 3.3 at sometime

Adobe does not back support any of their software...

FujiEX will not install over LE...You must have FujiEX v1.0 installed to update to v2.0 which will support your camera

buck52

Banned
linskyjack said:
Someone over in one of the Photography forums recommended this free product to edit to view and edit your raw on your Fuji---It's freeware so give it a go and see if it works.

http://www.photo-freeware.net/s7raw.php
Have you tried it?

I doubt you can make .raw edits... and save as such... Fuji and Nikon have been very tight with their raw file data...

buck

I dont know, but the person claimed you could. The blurb at the top of the page says you can. Also the screen shot on their page seems to show controls for manipulation I figured he could give it a go. Its funny that all the raw convertors I used, that also allow you to adjust for saturation, contrast etc dont generally support Fuji and none support that model.

http://www.justphotos.de/pic/screenshots/s7raw_screen1_gr.jpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online