1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

:confused: Can I remove XP SP2?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by planewalker, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. planewalker

planewalker Thread Starter

Is there any way I can remove an embedded SP2 in XP? I have some hardware that won't run on anything newer than XP SP1. I have to get SP2 off my machine. I recently built a new machine and my XP copy for the new machine has the SP2 embedded. Help!

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

I have to ask, why not WinXP SP2 :confused: It is the most stable WinXP released.

Also note, that WinXP SP3 is scheduled for release in 2008.

I highly suggest you stay with WinXP SP2. By the way, is it PRO or HOME? WinXP Pro SP2 is the best bargain, worth every penny.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

planewalker, what hardware will not work with SP2???

Only if you need/use the additional features in the Professional version . . otherwise, it's just a waste of $100

4. planewalker

planewalker Thread Starter

I am running XP Home SP2 with a Presonus Firestation Audio recording interface. Presonus no longer supports the unit and the drivers stopped at SP1. It will not work on XP SP2, that is why I want SP2 gone. I've had a hard time finding a copy of XP SP1 to buy and get legally activated and am trying to avoid having to buy a new interface when this one works perfectly fine.

5. tecknomage

tecknomage

There are locked features in WinXP Home (like folder security settings), WinXP Pro unlocks all features.

6. tecknomage

tecknomage

The drivers may be available from other sources, try DriverGuide's site.

7. Dad-MSFT

Dad-MSFT

You really don't want to run on Windows XP sp1.

It is out of lifecycle support, which means that Microsoft is no longer releasing security updates for it, which means that if you connect to the internet you will get pwnd. Not if, just when.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I personally do not understand the misinterpretation of what he wants to do. What part of he does not want to use service pack 2 is not understood?

Let's try this:

Open add/remove programs and at the top of the windows there is a little box for show updates. Put a check mark in this if there is none there if there is one there just leave it alone.

Scroll down the page and see if you can find Microsoft Service pack 2 and if you do left click on it to high light it and then click remove and follow the prompts and reboot the computer when asked if asked.

Also check this article from Microsoft

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350

Have a good day and if these do not work you will have to find a Windows XP SP1 install disk and do a clean install and do not forget to backup all of the important data first.

9. Dad-MSFT

Dad-MSFT

Reverting to XP sp1 poses a signifigant security risk.

I really wouldn't do it on any computer I remotely cared about.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!